• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Unethical practice by many companies: Not honoring campus placement offers

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Of late, it has become a fashion by most IT companies not to honor campus placement offers, citing recession as a reason.
I do understand that these are bad times, but i think its mainly because these companies were on a hiring spree.

All companies should have a firm joining date in hand while visiting colleges. If they miss on that deadline, they should compensate the person. By not giving a joining date, these companies keep postponing the joining date indefinitely.
Many companies have a joining bond, then why not compensate if they don't honor offers?

Though not all colleges can manage this, all IITs and IIMs(in India) should blacklist such companies. To participate in their placement session, all companies should be made to disclose the fact if they did not honor campus offers (just like statutory warnings on cigarette packets).

Jhakda

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jhakda Velu wrote:..all companies should be made to disclose the fact if they did not honor campus offers (just like statutory warnings on cigarette packets).
Jhakda

And we all know just how effective these warnings are !

What you are describing (what should happen) is an Utopian world. The reality is drastically different.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jhakda Velu wrote:If I become filthy rich, I'll sponsor research for painless dental treatment at Harvard Medical School. Thats why,I'm learning Java.I have 32 teeth, 22 are man made.

All my teeth are man made. I made them myself, except for one - the dentist made that one.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know what a "joining bond" is...but... is the 'joining date' in a contract somewhere? In other words... at least here in the U.S.A., if it's not on a piece of paper, you're pretty much out of luck.

If it IS on a contract, see what remedies there are. These should be stated - at the very least, you may be able to sue for breach of contract.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate jQuery Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jhakda Velu wrote:Of late, it has become a fashion by most IT companies not to honor campus placement offers,

Jhakda

In the first case they are offers and not contracts and hence do not have a legal binding per-say, and not all people who get offers join so would a unethical practice be valid even then?

Jhakda Velu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here in India, most companies hire folks by the end of third year or early final year of the course. Most of the times, the joining date is not given when the offer is made, though it has the CTC and other details.
Now a days, companies are not giving the joining date even after the course is over.
Thats what i am cribbing about.
Don't know how legal the initial offer is, though.

Jhakda

Jhakda Velu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

In the first case they are offers and not contracts and hence do not have a legal binding

Not all colleges allow people selected by one company to appear for tests of other companies.

and not all people who get offers join so would a unethical practice be valid even then?

Yes, it would be unethical

Jhakda

Jhakda Velu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And yes, the most unethical policy adopted by companies is that they don't say it at point blank that they won't be able to hire.
They just keep assuring that they will be giving the joining date pretty soon.

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jhakda Velu wrote:
They just keep assuring that they will be giving the joining date pretty soon.

I guess that makes an excellent business sense (for HR department)

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic