• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Exercise

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Like many other software engineers I put on weight... and belly . I plan to work on exercise so I wanted to know how much time you spend on exercise. Initially.. I plan to start with dumbbells... I am actually planning to reduce weight and build muscles

Suggestions from you guys are most welcome.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Spend atleast 30-45 minutes everyday in gym and you would be in great shape gradually. believe me.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You don't need to do anything! There are creams that reduce cellulite while you sleep.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah Marc, and they really work, but only if you believe in them. Put on the cream before you go to bed, then in the morning stand in front of the mirror and say to yourself "See, I'm not that fat!". If you don't believe it, you're not trying hard enough. After a week or so you'll have convinced yourself that it's working.

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't tried those creams but I enjoy watching the models when they demonstrate it.

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just be careful using Slim Fast, because they don't warn you about how fast the slimming can be. For example, it's possible to lose 75 pounds within 2 or 3 seconds, and if you happen to be riding an elevator at that time, this could throw off the counterweights, causing a sudden bump.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Who says we don’t exercise ? we jump to conclusions, drag our feet, throw our weight around, stretch the truth, bend the rules and go around in circles !!

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ram kovis wrote:Who says we don’t exercise ? we jump to conclusions, drag our feet, throw our weight around, stretch the truth, bend the rules and go around in circles !!

Remind me to never hire you.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ram kovis wrote:Who says we don’t exercise ? we jump to conclusions, drag our feet, throw our weight around, stretch the truth, bend the rules and go around in circles !!

You forgot the hours of bagning our heads against our desks!

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi friends,
I suggest the swimming...

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, swimming is really good. It isn't heavy on your knees and ankles like jogging, and it trains most of the major muscles in your body.

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In case anybody needs motivation for exercise

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
back to the point

If you do some weight training, and add a few pounds of muscle to your body, you will, 24 hours / day, burn more calories / hour than you did without adding those pounds of muscle. That's a really good thing! It means that you don't have to go on a diet to lose weight! But there's a catch - of course

It's not that easy to add even a few pounds of new muscle to your body. Having lifted weights off and on for more years than I care to mention, I've found the fastest way to gain muscle mass is to "train heavy". Here's how it works:

Step 1: You have to get your muscles, and tendons, and ligaments prepared to "train heavy". This part of the process usually takes 4 to 8 weeks depending on how strong you are, and on how consistent you are. The basic idea is that you want to start doing some easy and then medium difficulty weight training using those muscles that you want get bigger. For most people (men and women), growing the following muscles usually gives you the most "bang for the buck". In other words some muscles grow faster, and make you look better than others. I would recommend that you focus on your quadriceps ("quads" - front of your legs above the knees), your leg biceps ("hams" - back of your legs behind your knees), your "glutes" (butt muscles), your pectorals ("pecs" - chest muscles), your triceps (back of your arms above the elbow), your biceps (front of your arms above the elbow), your deltoids ("delts" - top or your shoulders), your latissimus ("lats" - on the upper back, outside), your lower back, and your abdominals ("abs"). Of these, the leg muscles, lats, and triceps will grow bigger fastest - adding the most muscle mass, but you don't want to neglect the other muscles I mentioned because you want to keep opposing muscles balanced. For instance, your quads and hams oppose each other, and your legs will be the strongest and healthiest if those two muscle groups are both strong. If your quads are strong and your hams aren't, you can have all sorts of problems.

Okay, with those muscles in mind, the idea is to do maybe three "sets" of 10 or so repetitions for each muscle group. For instance, if you're working on your biceps, you might do 10 bicep curls, rest for a minute, do 10 more, rest for a minute and do 10 more. Start with a weight that doesn't hurt when you do your 3 sets. In these beginning stages you can probably work on each muscle group every 2nd or 3rd day. If you want to work out every day, just do some of your muscles on one day and other muscles on the next day - that way each muscle is being worked with the best frequency. After a week or so you'll probably be able to start using more weight for each of your muscles. It's a good idea to keep a record, for each muscle group, of how much weight you're lifting.

The idea for this first 4 to 8 week period is to establish a basic level of muscle tone, and to get your tendons and ligaments strengthened.

Step 2: The "train heavy" phase. As a disclaimer, I need to say that "train heavy" is potentially dangerous Really!

I think that it's the fastest way to get strong and grow muscle mass, but it puts a real strain on your bones, your tendons, your ligaments, and your muscles! I would recommend that you work with a trainer who really knows what he/she is doing. Your trainer might not use the phrase "train heavy". but if you explain what you're doing, they should be familiar with this idea. To do "train heavy" safely you have to prepare correctly, learn really good lifting style, and pay attention to what your body is telling you.

With all THAT said, here's the basic idea of "train heavy"...

For each muscle group, (other than abs and lower back - don't do "train heavy" on your abs or lower back!), you will do ONE SET! and ONE SET ONLY - once every FIVE DAYS! But this one set will be a monster! You want to use so much weight that you can't possibly, if your life depended on it, do more than 12 reps. Also, you need to find the correct amount of weight so that you can do at least 6 reps. It might take a few sessions to find the correct weights for each muscle. Once you've calibrated weights for each of your muscles, you should find that after 2 or 3 sessions you can do 12 reps. When that happens you need to add more weight until you can't possibly do 12 reps.

Once you're into the flow of this, maybe 6 to 8 weeks from when you started, you'll find that you can do all the muscles I listed above in less than an hour, and you'll need to lift only once every five days.

The theory behind this approach is that if you do a really heavy set, "to failure" (i.e. you can't possibly lift that weight again), your muscle will need 5 days to repair and grow.

A lot of people will tell you that you need to do 3 sets and probably that you need to hit each muscle more often than once every 5 days. I can tell you that in my experience, a REALLY FRICKIN' HARD set, every five days, builds muscle the fastest.

Remember - get those tendons and ligaments ready!

Also, longer term, your muscles will get stronger much faster than your tendons and ligaments will. So long term. once you're up and running, you have to do your train heavy schedule on about 8 to 10 week cycles. Let me give you an example... Let's say that when you started, you could do 40 lb. curls. Let's say that after 8 weeks of train heavy you can now do 55 lb. curls. At this point you should probably take off a couple of weeks ( or do really light weights). When you return, don't start at 55 lbs. Drop back to maybe 50 lbs. and grow from there. This approach gives your tendons and ligaments time to "catch up" to your muscles.

I've skipped over a lot of details, and I'd strongly recommend that you work with a good trainer - but this stuff REALLY works!

Next of course, you should also be doing aerobic exercises to help your heart and lungs, speaking of which, I gotta go buy some new running shoes

hth,

Bert

p.s. For both men and women, you don't have to worry about busting out of your clothes and "bulking up" too fast Adding muscle mass and size is a slow process, and as Kathy says, you always have a "body back" guarantee - if you don't like your new muscles, just stop training and you'll get your old body back

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here comes a topsi turn.

I want to gain weight. Im so slim . Desperate to gain weight. I'm 5' 7" tall but weigh only 53. Please suggest any proven method. This is serious. God send anyone to help me.

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
kevin,

To increase weight do exercise regularly and eat more times than you are doing now. Add high calorie food to your diet.

-Venkat

Kevin Navles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Venkat Divvela wrote:kevin,

To increase weight do exercise regularly and eat more times than you are doing now. Add high calorie food to your diet.

-Venkat

Anybody with this knowledge help me more with some advice....

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please share it with me as well.

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Venkat Divvela wrote: Add high calorie food to your diet.

High calorie. Hmmmm

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
drink more more water, You will lose 5% of weight over a period of year and its very healty

real Heavy breakfast and smaller lunch

evening snack to to avoid overeating at night

eat early in evinings; have a 2 -3 hour time after Dinner before you go to sleep

play any intense physical activity sport atleast once a week

try gym or swiming atleast on one work day

If you try to do too hard anything than normal. there is high chance that you will discontinue.

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
exercise. Did you read that I said exercise,exercise,exercise. I take guaranty for you.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE VI Editor Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
On top of other suggestions, ride a bicycle to work. This saves time (you don't need to spend time at Gym) and money.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kevin Navles wrote:I want to gain weight. Im so slim . Desperate to gain weight. I'm 5' 7" tall but weigh only 53.

That's kilograms? I find that fruit cake, cookies, muffins, cinnamon buns and so on help me to gain weight. But if those things don't help, then forget Meaningless Drivel and get serious. There are medical conditions which can prevent weight gain and you might have one of them.

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:I find that fruit cake, cookies, muffins, cinnamon buns and so on help me to gain weight...

I would think twice gaining weight from these things. You don't need fat. Do you?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think we had this discussion before?

Well 3 hours of weights training, one hour of cardio, and 160 km (100 miles) of work-office biking per week.

Ranch Hand
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kalyan Anand wrote:Like many other software engineers I put on weight... and belly . I plan to work on exercise so I wanted to know how much time you spend on exercise. Initially.. I plan to start with dumbbells... I am actually planning to reduce weight and build muscles

Suggestions from you guys are most welcome.

As i live in Mumbai, & middle class people in my city who work in even in IT, not think to spend time in exercise due to all go to office by following manner

person get heavy exercise by fighting for safe space.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic