• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

concerns about the way most people raise chickens

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
"Paul! I've heard you've raised a lot of chickens! Look at my setup for chickens. Isn't it cool!"

And then I think "be nice!"

What's rolling through my head is "your chickens are standing on crap all day and the only food they can get is made mostly of grains that were considered too damn nasty for people to eat."

So then I think "rather than point out what sucks, I'll try to make some suggestions about something better."

But there are so many things. And I have only about a minute before this person loses interest.

So - I wrote this article about raising chickens to try to say what I need to say.

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Excellent. I'm looking forward to you adding more to it.

I read a lot of it thinking that it doesn't really help me in my backyard, then right at the end you brought it back in nicely. I'll pass the link along to my neighbor (who does keep a couple of chickens in his back yard) - although with 3 small children also sharing the back yard I'm not sure if he will be able to have the large areas you mention. Knowing him, I suspect he will start looking at getting a llama "for protection" (nothing to worry about here except cats).

paul wheaton
Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cats .... like cougars?

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Went back to Hawaii about 6 or 7 years ago -- Kauai to be exact. And to my surprise, the whole island was infested with chickens. I don't remember the chickens, on the previous visits many many years before. Where the heck did all these wild chickens come from? So, I asked some of the locals...

Apparently, a hurricane hit the island in the early 90's, and quite a few farm chickens got free. The farms decided it was just easier to purchase new chickens than to catch the ones that escaped. Many years later, the whole island is full of wild chickens...

Personally, I am totally surprised. I thought domesticated chickens would have just died if they are left in the wild.

Henry

Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

paul wheaton wrote:Cats .... like cougars?

Not in Australia. No - there are domestic cats that have gone feral, and even some of the domestic cats are only domestic in name only. Many areas of Australia have a permanent cat curfew - cats aren't allowed out of the house between dusk and dawn. Despite this there are a large number of cats out and about after dark.

When thinking of predators I forgot about foxes. Some bright person in the early days of Australian white settlement decided that it would be a good idea to bring some foxes over so he could still have his hunts. Of course with no natural predators the fox population exploded.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic