• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to skip commas, in CSV file generator?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a problem while creating the CSV file. I use to write the CSV file by separating with delimiter "|", this works fine if any text doesn't have any commas (","). The problem is if any text contains comma, then the remaining text continues to next cell, which is wrong. look into the examples

Perfect line:

10|001300221|SIMSON||WILLIAMS|A|20080818|1525|8753||HOLZGRAFE|| PEDIATRICS INTENSIVE CARE|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/CLINICIAN|GUH PASQUERILLA HEALTHCARE CNT

In the above case, CSV writes in the same cell and then fine.

with comma:

10|001300221|SIMSON||WILLIAMS|A|20080818|1525|8753||HOLZGRAFE|| PEDIATRICS, INTENSIVE CARE|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/CLINICIAN|GUH PASQUERILLA HEALTHCARE CNT

look at the bold sentence, there you see the comma and the line after comma is seprating to next cell.
I don't want like that, is there anyway to skip that comma and need as it is in the written file?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kumar Kuchipudi wrote:I have a problem while creating the CSV file. I use to write the CSV file by separating with delimiter "|", this works fine if any text doesn't have any commas (","). The problem is if any text contains comma, then the remaining text continues to next cell, which is wrong. look into the examples

Perfect line:

10|001300221|SIMSON||WILLIAMS|A|20080818|1525|8753||HOLZGRAFE|| PEDIATRICS INTENSIVE CARE|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/CLINICIAN|GUH PASQUERILLA HEALTHCARE CNT

In the above case, CSV writes in the same cell and then fine.

with comma:

10|001300221|SIMSON||WILLIAMS|A|20080818|1525|8753||HOLZGRAFE|| PEDIATRICS, INTENSIVE CARE|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/CLINICIAN|GUH PASQUERILLA HEALTHCARE CNT

look at the bold sentence, there you see the comma and the line after comma is seprating to next cell.
I don't want like that, is there anyway to skip that comma and need as it is in the written file?

it doesn't look to me like the line after the comma is separating to the next cell.

But anyways, I think I know what you mean to show. you say you are using the | as a delimiter, but somehow the comma is being used also as a delimiter? How is that happening?

edit: ok maybe you are using a class or utility that automatically parses with comma separators? If so I would ask why, if you don't want to parse according to commas?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about you embed that string which contains a comma within double quotes?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I recommend to use something unique say like $@$ etc which clearly distinguishes

Paper beats rock. Scissors beats tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic