• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using dispatch to call a webservice with more than one operation

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I have been trying to read up on SOA using Java Webservices and I stumbled upon this example.

Given below is the java source code.

It takes a the URL, and sei creates a dispatch object and invokes it .

Here is a snippet of the wsdl

With this wsdl the above process of calling the service will work fine. Now i will tweak the service such that it has two operations. Which operation would be called given the above client code ??

Say the new wsdl looks like below

The creation of the dispatch order has no mention of the operation it needs to invoke , am I i missing some thing real silly here ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi!
The Dispatch mechanism operates at a very low level and when you invoke a service using Dispatch, you have to construct either the entire request message (message mode) or the payload that is enclosed in the SOAP body of the request (payload mode).
When you use generated client artifacts, you invoke a method on a proxy object. JAX-WS then helps you, based on the method invoked, the parameters enclosed etc., to create the appropriate request message to send to the service.

Remember that all that is transferred to the service is a SOAP message and its contents.
Thus, when using Dispatch YOU are responsible for creating the appropriate request messages and the data in the message includes data about which operation that is to be invoked. This is more apparent if you use RPC, when the operation names are actually present in the message.

If you want hard, cold, proof, then I suggest you implement the service with two operations as above. Then use some packet sniffer or TCP monitoring tool to see what the requests look like "on the wire".
Best wishes!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi sid

does not this indicate which operation is going to be called? my guess is that in wsdl url, you are giving operation name requestOrder. so this will go to requestOrder operation given in WSDL. if you want to call the other operation "requestSecureOrder" wsdlURL should look like

or does this url uniquely represent one wsdl without distinguishing at operation level? I didnot get what Ivan was trying to say in the above post.
thanks

Sudarshan Sreenivasan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Vani,

I guess i missed out that detail, I think that's how it works not sure , will have to try it out , Is there some one who has tried such an example out ?

I think Ivan is saying that when using Dispatch , the resultant soap message will include all details required for the invoke including the operation/method name.

Thus he is suggesting that i implement the service and have a peek at the soap message , that way not much would be left to the imagination !

It would be a happier (feeling a little lazy) thing if some one has done it and can confirm our understanding

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You are reading SOA using Java Webservices. Please, have a look at Page 151. 4.3 Dispatching: How JAX-WS 2.0 Maps WSDL/SOAP to Java Invocation.

"...Once the dispatching process has determined the soap:address, and therefore the wsdl:port, the wsdl:operation needs to be determined. For this, you need to look at the SOAP body, and the interpretation of SOAP body's contents depends on style of WSDL being used."

So, in my opinion 2 factors are important to determine operation by JAX-WS mechanism: "SOAP body's contents" and "style of WSDL being used"

For document/literal wrapped style, name of the operation being transferred on wire originates from name of input wrapper element.
So, contents of your "xmlSource" is important in this case.

Adam

Sudarshan Sreenivasan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Adam,

Thanks for pointing it out to me and that pretty much explains which operation would be invoked given a soap envelope.

I was also wanting to know that if the service had two operations and the client was using dispatch then how would the client be able to specify that he wants to invoke operation A and not operation B.

To which venkat replied with , where

requestSecureOrder

specifies the operation name.

I am guessing everyone agrees with it , I have not tested it out. If i do will post my findings here

Adam Smolnik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey.

I don't agree. I don't know whether it works fine. Maybe, but I think it is rather not interoperable and portable solution. Could you point to me some specification of the url and parameters structure and relation to the operation name ?

As I mentioned in my previous post - SOAP binding in WSDL gives us location of a port. Pure and simple.
Contents construction of the SOAP Body and style of WSDL document are important; the both factors can say something about the name of an operation.

Please, look at my example:

Response(shortened for brevity):

Service implementation:

and wsdl:

Best regards
Adam

Sudarshan Sreenivasan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Adam,

I got your point , I will write down my understanding if you could just confirm it, it'll be great.

In case of document/literal wrapped , The request message holds the key, like in your example

pl : op1

specifies which operation will be invoked.

I then went and looked up the request XML for the example posted , here specifies the operation name.

If i wanted to invoke requestsecureorder the XML would have to be instead of requestOrder

I think this pretty much sums up what all of us where trying to say.
Correct me if i am wrong.

Adam Smolnik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think current of your thoughts is proper.

Adam

Sudarshan Sreenivasan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks adam !!

If you try to please everybody, your progress is limited by the noisiest fool. And this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic