• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Advice on first project

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My first project using Struts and starting with version 2. This is part of a form I'm building to add a user to a database and my first attempt at implementing Struts2 in a web application. This is how I'm pulling the data from the database to fill options for select fields. I've read about using DAO to keep the query results from the database abstracted so the front end doesn't care where the data is coming from.
I think I've got a basic handle on how things with Struts works, but just wanted to make sure I'm going on the right path before I continue further. Appreciate any advice at all. Thanks!

DAOBase.java

City.java

CityDAO.java

AddOwnerForm.java

struts.xml

form.jsp

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Haven't done raw JDBC for... a really long time, but it seems okay. Does it work?I'd just do:I'm all for comments, but comments that are essentially identical to the code are just meaningless noise.

The other issue is that your action *is* caring about where the data comes from because you're tied directly to your DAO implementation. So while the *idea* is sound, the implementation does nothing to avoid the ultimate issue.

There are several ways around this, but if you're just starting out it might be best to avoid any further complication for now. If you want to pursue it further I'd consider looking at the Spring plugin. Spring also has a *lot* of convenient functionality that can wrap up the JDBC code.

Keith Fiske
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, everything is working. I'm just kinda checking if I'm going on the right path before I continue further. I'd started over from scratch several times as I learned JSP, starting first using just plain JSTL, then learning how to write servlets & tags, then learning that most Java web apps have moved onto using things like Struts where a lot of this is already wrapped up nicely in an API. It seems I'm almost caught up with how modern JSP development is done, I just wanted to double-check again just in case.

I thought the abstraction between the database & front end was just getting the data formatted to a point that was native to Java (Lists in this case) for the Actions to use. Didn't know it was supposed to go further than that.

I'd read briefly about Spring/Hibernate, but I wasn't sure if I should pursue it with this. Maybe I will now.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I thought the abstraction between the database & front end was just getting the data formatted to a point that was native to Java (Lists in this case) for the Actions to use. Didn't know it was supposed to go further than that.

You're definitely right about that--you don't really want to be passing ResultSets around or anything.

How far to take decoupling really depends on a lot of things and your general programming philosoph[y|ies], and is pretty off-topic to this forum. Check out "Inversion of Control" and/or "Dependency Injection" resources--they'll explain the level I'm talking about here.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with what you've done--don't get me wrong :)

Keith Fiske
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great! Appreciate your time looking over my work so far!

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No sweat. I was just in a heavy mentoring phase, so I'm used to it ;)
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic