• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Reading books really helps

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does reading books really helps the programming to learn new technologies , let say i want to learn a Spring framework an i want to implement SpringMVC , and i dont have any prior knowledge of Spring though i know MVC offcourse as i know Struts . So Just reading "Spring In Action" and practising programmes side by side will really help me

again my main question does reading really helps the programmers

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The right book helps you, but only if you practice as well. Just theory will get you nowhere.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Different people have different ways of learning. Some things, like reading books, work well for some people, but not so much for other people - they prefer something different. Ofcourse you have to get the information to learn from somewhere - be it a book, an online tutorial or something else.

I agree with Rob that experimenting and trying things out yourself is essential.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Jesper, it depends on people. For me, if the subject is quite out of my ground, I need a book to give me consistent picture (as many aspects are from the same source). But If the subject is just extensions of what I already comfortable with, just online tutorials are enough (I will patch the big picture myself).

The most important thing for me though is to set up a small (tiny) but real-world liked project and try to finish it. This way I can really see how they are put together.

Just a thought.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Reading book does give you a comprehensive picture of what things are. However, it should not be mistaken that reading alone suffices to code real applications.
We do need to get the concept from the book or online tutorial, think on it, and apply it on some small application and code and test it.

This way learning becomes fun and many things which book or tutorials cannot teach you (because of the scope and nature), becomes clearer. The more exception or errors you get and handle them the more you get to know the intricacies of the concept you just read and implemented.

This is what I do personally. Hope that helps.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic