• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Replacement for SQLXML

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I am currently using SQLXML as a xml processor in my java application which transfers data from an XML file to my database. The xml files we process are very large in size and have thousands of tags ranging from 10,000 to 80,000. Using traditional approach of XML parsing makes the process very very slow, for processing file having tags around 80.000 it takes 1hour and the same processing is done in minutes when we use SQL XML.

One problem with SQLXML is its licensed version which i cannot afford for a long time, So i am thinking of replacing it with something which is as good as he is. Can anyone suggest me any open source that does the same thing with the same efficiency.

Thank you!

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Exactly what are you using it for? There's no shortage of XML parsers. If you're just reading in values and updating the database, the SAX parser built into the JDK will probably be enough. Personally, I find XQuery (also available in the JDK) easier to work with.

Vinod Borole
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a import process that can take one or many XML files depending on user requirement at a time, this process is responsible for reading an XML file and adding the information to a set of relational tables. I have used SAX parser but when i use this import for multiple files at a time the performance degrades. As my system needs is to do this as fast as possible i have used SQLXML for which i just have to write a mapping information that's the only code i have to do, which it uses and transfers the data to the database.

Depending on my current requirement as mentioned above do you think XQuery would be a good option, i have not used it yet.

Does any one has any idea about Woodstox parser?

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vinod Borole wrote: I have used SAX parser but when i use this import for multiple files at a time the performance degrades.

Odd. I'd think that since SAX processes tags as-it-goes, it would have pretty good throughput. Are you doing multiple files simultaneously? Have you tried benchmarking the database to make sure that it is not the bottleneck?

Vinod Borole wrote:
Depending on my current requirement as mentioned above do you think XQuery would be a good option, i have not used it yet.

I'm not doing anything demanding with it, so I can't speak to performance. I just like the query interface better than SAX's event-driven model.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic