• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Updating Time Zone when Windows Changes Time Zones

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

I've noticed that if I go onto my Windows machine and change the time zone, the time zone returned by my Java application (which has been running this whole time) returns the prior time zone. I have to restart the Java application for the change to take effect.

Is there any way to have the JRE/Java re-load the time zone information from the Windows operating system without having to restart my JRE?

FYI, I'm on JDK 1.5_17, and the servers I run it on use mostly Windows 2000, though I've noticed this happens on Windows XP as well.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
No.

(It's more efficient for the JVM to just get the time zone when it starts up. The probability that the time zone will change while the application is running is so tiny, it's not worth the cost of getting it every single time the default time zone is required. You weren't planning on making a habit of changing your machine's time zone, were you?)

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic