• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Stubs, Skeletons, Ties.... oh my!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am looking for some clarification regarding the differences between skeletons and ties. Ive done some searching on google and have only found the following info:

A skeleton for a remote object is a JRMP protocol server-side entity that contains a method which dispatches calls to the actual remote object implementation.

A tie for a remote object is a server-side entity similar to a skeleton, but which communicates with the client using the IIOP protocol.

In my Cameron McKenzie SCJA Mock Exam Question book (Q8-7, pg.185) i have the following Question & Answer:

Which of the following 2 are associated with distributed EJB?:

A: ties
B: stubs
C: skeletons
D: marshals

Answer: A & B. Stubs are provided to the client invoking the EJB, and ties sit on the server side. Messages back and forth from the client to the server are marshalled back and forth through these 2 objects. skeletons are associated with otherdistributed technologies.

how are skeletons not associated with EJB's? should skeletons only be used between 2 non-J2EE servers and/or non-Enterprise JavaBeans?

clients to distributerd Servlets, State(less) beans, etc method invocation should only use ties?

clients to POJO method invocation should only use skeletons?

any help is appreciated

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Skeletons haven't been in use for almost a decade. It's so far back I don't remember what release dropped them.

Rob Poulos
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thank you for the reply... however it doesnt answer my question... I still woud like to know what the differences are. I asked the manager of Back End Applicaitons at my work who primarily deals with java code and he only knew of Skeletons, he had never even heard of a tie...

And, if ties are so popular in Java why cant i find information on the internet about them?

Edward Harned
Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
_Tie, instead of _Stub, is generated by rmic when you compile with the iiop feature.

Ranch Hand
Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know this is old, but I didn't see a good answer to the OP. I am working on the same deal and found this Oracle link that does a pretty good job of explaining what these things are. Hopefully it helps some others.

Ties,Skeletons, Ties
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic