• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Problem with customer identification

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

My update method is

and now I see that there is a new method for new projects:

I am not knowing how to identify the customer, since my date is singleton class, and my method does not receive the parameter lockCookie, I will disapprove if I miss a way to identify the customer?

It's no use I spend a LONG generated on the client and assign a variable in the Date class, as being a singleton class, you might find that a client assign a value and then assign a different client, so the first value has been lost. I'm confused.

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There should only be one update() method in the Sun's provided interface, either with or without the lockCookie. If your's do not have the lockCookie, then nothing to worry about. If have lockCookie, what is your current approach to identify that customers have the same lockCookie.

There are several threads about lockCookie in the SCJD forum you can reference.

Roman Traze
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

K. Tsang wrote:There should only be one update() method in the Sun's provided interface, either with or without the lockCookie. If your's do not have the lockCookie, then nothing to worry about. If have lockCookie, what is your current approach to identify that customers have the same lockCookie.

There are several threads about lockCookie in the SCJD forum you can reference.

My interface has this method update(long recNo, String[] data) without cookie, then what you are saying that in my case I do not have to worry about identify the customer who placed the block? I will not be reproached for not implementing anything about it?

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Roman,

If you not identify the client who is locking a record, I think you will fail automatically. Because the scenario "clientA locks record 1, clientB updates record 1 and clientC unlocks record 1" is against the interface you must implement. Making sure a record is only updated/deleted by the client that owns the lock is part of the assignment.

If you have a lockCookie in your interface, client identification is very easy (just use lockCookie value). If you don't have lockCookie in your interface (like you) you will have to find another way to uniquely identify your client: a possibility is implementing the RMI Factory Pattern (like described in Andrew's book).

Kind regards,
Roel

LOOK! OVER THERE! (yoink) your tiny ad is now my tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic