• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Free Scrum tools?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I want to use scrum with a team, I'm new to it and looking forward for a tool to support control SCRUM process , I know I could use a whiteboard, etc, but that´s not the case. Any suggestions on free tools to evaluate?

So far I will problably evaluate: XPlanner http://www.xplanner.org, Agilo(Free edition) http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/agilo/ and Scarab http://scarab.tigris.org/.

Any other suggestions? As I mentioned I'm new to SCRUM so any personal impressions on tools will be appreciated.

tx in advance.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you mean by "support control SCRUM process"? What do you expect the tool to do for you? And what do you mean by "that's not the case"?

I can't suggest a tool, but I have a blog post giving some hints on what to look for: http://radio.javaranch.com/ilja/2009/07/13/1247483707968.html

Marcos Maia
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ilja Preuss wrote:What do you mean by "support control SCRUM process"? What do you expect the tool to do for you? And what do you mean by "that's not the case"?

That was just bad english

Tanks for the insight, good blog post.

So far I have been reading about the tools I mentioned using it's respective documentation and that's my impressions so far:

XPlanner - Pretty complete but quite focused on XP. So is much more than a SCRUM tool. If you uses java will not be difficult do intall.

Scarab - So far looks the most customizable and flexible tool. Probably will take a while to configure it and get to the right path for the team but looks very promising.

Agilo - I could not find any Linux version so far, so I stopped this evaluation. Also I didn't like their commercial approach.

Just start evaluating a new tool I found IceScrum - http://www.icescrum.org/ . Also looks promising. Really easy to set up, has an embedded database and a nice interface. Just a deploy on tomcat and it's working.

Ilja Preuss
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess the question I still have is: why *don't* you use a white board? Just curious...

Marcos Maia
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ilja Preuss wrote:I guess the question I still have is: why *don't* you use a white board? Just curious...

This will be a pilot project with SCRUM in a BIG organization. The place where the team stays has about 200 other people working on different projects. It's an open space and the team will not feel confortable with that. We had a quick meeting on this subject and the team decided to go for a software.

Ilja Preuss
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Frankly, I think your time would be better invested in making it comfortable for the team to work with a white board, than in finding a software tool!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Recently came across a new Scrum tool called Vabro, it incorporates both Scrum and DevOps features in it. Also their Free Scrum webinar is helpful for on the fence team/organizations who are willing to implement Scrum but do not know how.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many Scrum tools are available in the market, I recently came across Vabro, a Scrum SaaS tool, having exceptional features that can help any organization reach its Scrum goals. The tool incorporates good use of workspaces, allowing members to add or remove their name from workflows, and tracking work in Prioritized product backlog, all the while breaking up epics into tasks and keeping track of sprints.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are several budget Scrum tools that are perfect for startups or small teams like mine. One option is Trello, which offers a free tier with basic features like unlimited boards, lists, and cards. Trello's intuitive Kanban board interface makes it easy to visualize tasks and collaborate with team members, making it ideal for small-scale projects. Vabro is another interesting tool suitable for implementation. Vabro has it's free plan for small teams.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One of the most commonly recommended free Scrum tools that I've come across is Jira Software. It offers a simple and intuitive interface, making task and workflow management effortless with its Kanban boards – ideal for Agile methodologies like Scrum. With customizable boards, lists, and cards, along with seamless integration options, Jira is a go-to choice for many teams like mine.

Another favorite of mine in the free Scrum tool arena is Vabro. Its free plan for small teams provides robust Agile project management features, including Scrum boards, sprint planning, backlog management, and reporting capabilities. Vabro's high level of customization makes it a top choice among Agile teams worldwide, including ours.

Additionally, Asana stands out as another notable free Scrum tool that I've found useful. While not specifically designed for Scrum, it offers features for task management, team collaboration, and project tracking. Its flexibility and customizable workflows make it adaptable to Scrum practices, adding value to our project management processes.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
PJ: welcome to the Ranch and thank you for those suggestions

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic