• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

First Java web app underway: JSF vs. EJB?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Ranchers,

I've got enough under my belt to begin development of Java web apps (I hope, anyway.) I have been confused about the following involved issues, however:

- Is JSF a 'framework' like Struts? So, in other words, with suitable time invested in learning JSF, will I need to learn other frameworks, too?
- Is there a tension between Struts backing beans and EJB? So, in other words, if I want to develop my app with as much flexibility as possible for future enhancements, do I think EJB first or JSF first?

Thanks. I've just been kind of confused that there's no one bulletproof way to do Java web apps if one has the time to learn it.

Grary

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The web frameworks are pretty similar. I learned Struts first, and it made picking up JSF pretty easy.

>>do I think EJB first or JSF first?

Well, EJB and JSF serve different roles. JSF is focussed on the front end, and EJB is more focussed on the back end. So, you can explore them independently, and when you get a bit of a background in both, you'll have a good idea of how they can work together. And that's really the idea. JSF works well with EJB.

Grary Stimon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cameron,

Thanks for your reply.

So, I could get started implementing business logic EJBs and expect to 'wire' them to JSF pages, later? Or must I study up on JSF backing beans first to make sure I can expose my EJBs properly?

Thanks,

Grary,

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic