• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

MyEclipse and Maven

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So I'm looking to use the standard MVN command line to create a web project for MyEclipse. I got MyEclipse due to the fact that I love the hot deploy feature. I don't have to keep rebuilding and redeploying in order to see my changes go in. Only problem is that when I use Maven and try to create a web project via the command line, the IDE doesn't recognize the project in the workspace as something I can deploy. I have done the eclipse:eclipse in order to create the '.project. file and have imported it in correctly so its IN MyEclipse however when I click on ADD DEPLOYMENT the IDE does not recognize it as a web project. I'm looking for a solution to this. How do I make it visible to the MyEclipse IDE?

TIA

-Dale

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Add a web project nature (or whatever it's called now).

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know about MyEclipse, but the integration between WTP and Maven is horrible. Then again, I don't have a very high opinion of WTP as a replacement for sysdeo either.

If MyEclipse is anything like WTP, however, it doesn't adhere to Maven's standard project structure by default. Which means that if you create a project in Eclipse, you have to manually gimmick it up to be Maven-friendly.

Going the other direction (like you are) is even worse. There's a LOT of work that needs to be done in Eclipse as far as making it capable of detecting and applying external architectural considerations, even ones as simple as converting a generic project into a Java project. Often the simplest approach is to create a new, empty project containing the facets/attributes you want and shovel stuff in from your real project. Which can be especially problematical if the original project is already under version control and what you're trying to do is update the VCS project with the Eclipse-friendly one.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm, I haven't had anywhere near the issues you have making projects work in Eclipse, including Maven projects.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic