• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Unix or Linux or OpenSolaris to use for studying Java & J2EE

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am new to the Forum. I have been using Windows Systems to run Java & J2EE .But now I want to learn running these in Open source stuff. I found many production environments to be running in unix or linux or solaris. I want to know which of these three would be helpful for a starter to learn all the configuration and programmatic stuffs in Java & J2EE.I do have some years of experience ,but need an guidance regarding to choose with best of breed OS to run java & j2ee stuff.
And Kindly do explain the Preference Reasons so that I could learn over it.

Thanks in Advacne.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch. First, please check your private messages for an administrative matter from JavaRanch.

Yes, you can use Linux or OpenSolaris for Java EE development and a lot of people do.

I'd recommend Linux over OpenSolaris, because Linux has much better hardware support and a much greater community to help you than OpenSolaris.

You'll have to choose a Linux distribution. I'd go for Ubuntu (the most popular and easy to use) but there are also others such as Fedora or openSUSE. See DistroWatch for more info about the available Linux distributions.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, I used to develop Java apps on a Windows desktop machine and then deploy them on Linux and Solaris production systems, thanks to Java's "Write Once/Run Anywhere" architecture.

The one thing that can be tricky about J2EE on Linux is that many Linux distros come with "gcj", which is an open-source attempt to replicate Java. Historically, it wasn't nearly complete enough to run production Java Swing or J2EE apps. Since Sun opened up a lot of the source code and the "Iced T" effort was made, a true open-source Java is more realistic, but I haven't yet heard that they're ready for Prime Time, so I install the Sun JDK's and use them instead.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:Actually, I used to develop Java apps on a Windows desktop machine and then deploy them on Linux and Solaris production systems, thanks to Java's "Write Once/Run Anywhere" architecture.

I remember being shocked and surprized when I just copies a .jar file over to a Unix machine and it worked, as all my development had been on Windows NT (this was last century).

Sun over sold a bit on the "write once run everywhere" but it really works if you avoid the OS specific stuff and the JNI.

Now, to answer the hidden question in the Original Post, I recommend Linux to learn. The question of which Linux comes up all the time, search for answers.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic