• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I do not recommend EJB 3.0 from Oreilly

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This book may be highly regarded by amazon and some users here but this book is FULL of errata and failure on anyone preparing for SCBCD exam to visit oreilly.com for errata may cost them the exam. There is soo many errors and I am left with too many unanswered questions like the following:

"How does a message driven bean specify which topic it listens on?"

I found the answer in EJB3 in Action.

Answer:

ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destinationName", propertyValue ="nameGoesHere") The name must match that specified as the Destination/Topic that was given to the session that created the messageProducer. I hope this helps others. We really need a HeadFirst Book aimed at SCBCD. These books rarely leave one with unanswered questions.

Can someone verify that what I say here is correct? Is the topic/Que name specified by destinationName?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Does we have book written by kathy sierra for ejb3.0?i badly need it soon

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Brinal Jason Machado wrote:Does we have book written by kathy sierra for ejb3.0?

There's already a topic devoted to that subject -- let's not rehash it here.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yucca,

I'm studying for one month now in order to prepare for the SBCD certification. Previously I did not had any experience on J2EE technologies and how to use application servers such as Glassfish. JBoss, etc.. I have started by reading "EJB 3.0 In Action" as it was recommended by most of the users and I have found many difficulties since it takes knowledge for granted although that it specifies in the begining that this book is intended for beginers. To be more specific I had problem deploying, when I finally managed to deploy I had problems on creating MDBs. Personally I have found that it provides inadequate information. On the other hand I have started from the begining "EJB 3.0" by Orreily and it helped me since it explains almost everything in detail; provides info of how to deploy, what a persistence.xml does, detailed examples,etc.. Information that might seem silly to advanced users but it is mandatory for beginner users to gain an understanding rather than learning the theory.

I believe that no book by itself can contain all the relevant information, unless a book is published specifically for this exam, like SCJP. Personally when I finish with Orreily book I will go through ejb in action to see information that is not mentioned.

Regards,
Nicolas

Ranch Hand
Python Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Maybe a book like "Java EE 5 Development using GlassFish Application Server" (Packt Publishing) can serve as a nice introduction to Java EE.
Once you've got a basic understanding of the platform, you can continue with a book like "EJB 3 in Action"?

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic