• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

design a web based fund search screen

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,

I have a requirement to build a search screen, this constitutes an Advance Search facility too.
A person can enter certain attributes of a fund and I need to get all the funds that satisfy that search criteria.

My understanding is that I need to have some form of grouping of the seach criteria and based on what attributes a person enters on the screen(Web screen) I will generate dynamic query at the back that will be run against the DB.

My NFR is I need to return the response in less than 5 seconds, today we have 300 odd funds but over next few years that funds will increase to 2000-3000 funds. Thats what the business guys told me!

I have posted it here because the design has to consider the performance issue.

Can someone tell me if this is a good search design OR tell me what all aspects I need to look at to get the design and the screen respond efficiently.

Regards,
Shinde

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Any self respecting database should be able to handle a few thousand records.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How many results does an individual query return? If "all", you'll want to have paging so the reader doesn't have to scroll down so many times.

C Shinde
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, all that you say is fine. I was not sure how this needs to be implemented.

What we have done is based on the tables we have created sub queries which based on the search criteria get included in the final query or not, now all this work is done in a Utility class.
I wanted to know is this a best way to build a search module or is there a design pattern which recommends how this can be done?

As I tried searching for this on the net but did not find anything useful.

Also we are following a SOA architecture so we give a lot of importance to reusability, now this peace of module if implemented this way will not be reusable. How can I make a Search Module that can be reused across different applications in a Domain like say Insurance.

My requirement was to build a Search screen and module where in a user keys in certain fund attributes and it generates a query dynamically (as i described above) and queries a DB and gets me a result. Now if I want to plug out this queries and use another set of queries how can I do this, will a command pattern kind of design work?

I am fine with doing Pagination on the screen or the DB storing 2000-5000 odd fund records.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic