• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Orion is behaving strangely....

village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Orion server? I can start the program in a dos window. I get a non-fatal error message which I have always gotten, even though I downloaded and installed the thing twice. The error doesn't seem to affect the functioning of the server, because my web pages are displaying and the servlets are working like they're supposed to. Anyway, that's not what this is about. All of a sudden, I can't exit the server program with a keyboard command anymore. I have to close the dos window using the x in the upper right hand corner, which brings up a distressing message indicating I shouldn't be exiting the program this way. But the program no longer responds to any exit or quit command. Should I be concerned? Or just annoyed?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Carol, can you give a little more info?
What's the startup error you are getting? And on what OS? What version of java?
-Barry
[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Barry Gaunt ]

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
...and you're using Ctrl-c to try and shut the server down, right?

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmmmm.....Control c.....That rings a bell. No, I wasn't doing that, I just started the server and tried to exit, but there was no prompt. When I did the control c thing, the prompt appeared like this: C:\orion> Funny, I used to know how to exit the server, and after being away from it for only a few weeks, I completely forgot! Thanks, Dirk. That was it.
Barry, this is the error message:
A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'Relocation error: NULL relocation target' has occurred in:
'org/apache/crimson/parser/Parser2.maybeComment (Z)Z': Interpreting method
I have always seen this error message print out when starting the server, but it doesn't seem to affect the functioning of the program, at least not yet.
I'm using Windows 98 and I think I'm using j2sdkee1.2.1. I'm not sure about the version of java, it's been a long time since I downloaded the files and I'm kind of fuzzy about these kinds of details. Any ideas how to fix this? As for the other thing, I simply forgot the command to stop the server, which Dirk remembered for me! Thanks for your help, guys.
[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Carol Murphy ]

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Any ideas how to fix this?

Sorry Carol, but seeing the load of old iron you are running with, I'm not going to downgrade to find out. On Windows 2000 (Also a bit rusty now) and Java 1.4.1_01, J2EE1.3.1 orion starts without that error.
I guess you are doing the right thing to ignore it for now
-Barry

"To do good, you actually have to do something." -- Yvon Chouinard
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic