• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

suggestion

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hey it would be great if people could not only mention how much they scored but also why they took the exam or how clearing scjp changed their life/career. Or why are people going for scwcd after scjp. Does it help in getting a raise in salary or better jobs or peace of mind?

My dad wants me to do mba after college but i want to work. I am preparing for scjp exam and would give scmad exam after that.

Never thought life could get so serious....

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The reason that most people go for SCWCD after SCJP might be because most people today are interested in web application development (after all its a JavaEE exam). But its just a matter of personal choice. Someone can go for SCDJWS or SCBCD. I'm not sure if a certification can get you a raise in salary, but it can increase your chances of a good job (but there's no guarantee). It might give you an edge over a candidate with the same level of experience as you. A certification proves that you have handsome knowledge of a topic. And a certification is not just a piece of paper. When you prepare for a certification, you definitely learn ten thousand things. So it makes you a better programmer.

Whether you do MBA or SCMAD is your personal choice. I cannot comment on that.

Never thought life could get so serious

You never think about that, but it does get serious at some point of time, but the fun never ends. You'll have different kinds of challenges in life now that's all

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm not sure if a certification can get you a raise in salary, but it can increase your chances of a good job (but there's no guarantee).

As I know from my friends (also Java Developers) when You get SCJP your salary can raise even about 10% Nowadays many IT job offers in Poland required SCJP cert.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Never thought life could get so serious....

It is as serious as you want it to be.

when You get SCJP your salary can raise even about 10%

This depends on your employer. Some value certifications and others do not. I know developers that took SCJP among other certifications and did not see any significant raise

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would not bet on an automatic salary increase after gaining SCJP or SCWCD. They do look good on your CV but only with the right amount of related experience. Its probably better when you are going for a new job or promotion in your current role.

Ankur kothari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
wow....nice to hear from you guys...really motivates me to study for scjp exam more
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic