• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

packages; *.zip; *.jar & import

buckaroo
Postgres Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working ahead in the CattleDrive while waiting for current nitpick to arrive.
Assignment OOP-1 (DaysOld) requires the downloading of a *.zip file and re-configuration of classpath. Two preliminary questions:
1. Is a *.zip == *.jar?
2. Does simply renaming a file to someFile.jar from someFile.zip make a zip file a jar file?

Finally, the real problem. No matter how I configure the classpath this error occurs at runtime with the required import statement in the java file:

I even changed my folder structure to match that in the example and placed the given path example in classpath with the same error.
What gives?
TIA
doco

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The answer to questions 1 and 2 are yes. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but it looks like you are trying to import a class called common from the package com.javaranch. You probably want to import something different. Is that cryptic enough.

Donald R. Cossitt
buckaroo
Postgres Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Matthew;
Thanks for the answers. You hit the nail on the head - this bonehead! Your encryption pointed me to the problem. I was not referring to some file named common. That was the least node in the hierarchy; what I didn't do was place the ".*" at the end! Jeesh what a bonehead! :roll:
Well then, it seems I'm back in the saddle again!
Thanks
doco
[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: doco mastadon ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic