• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How helpful is SCJP in getting a job

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am writing SCJP exam in 2 weeks. My academics are average. I want to know how helpful is SCJP in getting a job.

Thanks

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to javaranch. How helpful the certificate is really depends on the employer. The SCJP strengthens your fundamentals. If you manage to pass it, your chances of passing the interview are probably higher

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think any certification gives third party evaluation of capabilities of that person in respective area. That certainly gives some psychological impact when the interviewer has judged the person average or above average, or for that sake for HR people to short list the profiles. it also boosts the individual's confidence level high which is according to me a major advantage.

But in any case I think basic fundamentals are very important which comes to your help in cracking the interview. I have seen such cases who were certified but because of lack of core concepts, they could not clear the interviews/discussions resulting in high amount of frustration. So in short, certification is preferred to certain extent but it can not ensure you a job.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe certification is definitely a plus, provided you pass it to increase the level of your knowledge. I say it because there are people who find out ways to just pass it without study...in that case it is no way going to help you/any who does that.

Though you/I earn the certification, the knowledge will be evaluated in the interview..you/I will definitely stand good if the preparation is done properly and passed the exam. Then it will prove to be plus.

My 2 cents:)

P@rash
SCJP 6.0!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It can give you the edge in an interview in terms of technical skills. But you may be asked technical questions to back up your understanding of the language.

It's hard to fight evil. The little things, like a nice sandwich, really helps. Right tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic