• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is Datapower

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,

I need to know what is Datapower?Is it a software or a piece of hardware.I need to know because I have got 5 years of Java/J2EE experience.And my current firm is going to give me work involving Datapower.I have no clue about it and hence would like to get inputs from you first.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your company wants you to work on things but they can't tell you what those things are? It sounds like they have some organizational issues. Googling for that term brings up several possible products/companies, but only one really strong contender.

Nikhil Sun
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ya Ulf, but actually I have joined recently and was working for quite sometime on a Spring based web application.The thing is our team is newly formed and today we were sent a mail that listed the modules we would be responsible for.I had Datapower among other things.Hence I thought of googling for it and also posting here so that I can get some idea beforehand as to what it is.I also would like to know the demand for Datapower in the IT market.The thing is I have been a Java/J2EE person for 5+ years now.Would working on something like Datapower be a value addition?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Datapower is harware based device. You worked on datapower using a web base gui.
Datapower primary purposes are:
1) XML manipulation. You can setup datapower to use xsl style sheets for this.
2) Security. You can use datapower as to authenticate the request before passing the request a web server.
3) Protocal conversion. Datapower can receive an http request and place this message in a database or in MQ.\

Nikhil Sun
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Dave.So I believe that Datapower is a different skillset in itself which requires knowledge of probably configuring it,administration etc right?As a Java professional, do you think having Datapower as a skill is a value addition?Also what is the demand for Datapower professionals?

Dave Trower
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think datapower is a good skill set to have. Although datapower is not java based, I have seen it used along with java based programs. For example, I have seen datapower post to a java servlet. I think of datapower as a middleware product that is used to connect two or more computer systems together.
I think the job market is good for datapower because since right now it is hard to find people with datapower expereince. Since datapower is an expensive device, the only way to learn about it is to work for a company that uses it.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am using DataPower, actually people always use it in Web Service,DataPower can parse xml file quickly and provide strictly security authentication, but it is not only configuration work, you need little bit programming work.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic