• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What kind of support is available for ICEfaces?

Village Idiot
jQuery Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I used richfaces pretty extensively in a project I did for a company a while back. They have their forum and I would not have been able to finish my project without it, but it seemed like there were only two people (Ilya and someone else I cannot remember) there answering questions, and hundreds asking them. It could take time to get an answer or help, and I would usually have figured it out myself (with the help of javaranch of course) by then. On top of that, it seemed English was there second language so sometimes that was a barrier. RF did have a lot of great help available other than that though, such as livedemo stuff and a huge repository of source code.

So what about IceFaces? I have used the forums a few times, but not enough to get a feel for it. I am debating on whether to use RF on my next project which I now know pretty well, or to give IF a try. Any comments on the help available on the forums, or other knowledge bases for IceFaces?

-Matt K.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting selection criteria. ICEsoft is Canada, so you get native speakers. The forum is maybe a bit slow with answers, but you will find indeed more than two guys who (can) answer. Some core developers and even the chief architect are writing in the forum.

So, I think ICEfaces has won the race ;-).

Matt Kohanek
Village Idiot
jQuery Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, the two who gave help on the RF forum were both on the dev team too. I use this as a selection criteria simply because I am just out of college and still learning a great deal about this and other technologies, so a good support base if important for me.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IceFaces has been around quite a while. It was a commercial-only product originally, and that generally means it's going to have paid support available even after open-sourcing.

I know of at least one fairly good-sized shop in my own town that's using IceFaces for major production work, so that's a vote of confidence on their part.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic