• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which framework is best for Java-Database integration?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm new to Java frameworks. To make matters a bit more difficult, I need to prove to management at work that it's possible to have a RAD tool in Java. Most of our Java work is to integrate Desktop-apps and Web-apps to Oracle DB. I want to prove to them that by using the correct framework you can do as good of a job if not better than Delphi or PowerBuilder.
I've looked a bit at Struts, Sophia and JavaServer Faces but before jumping in I wanted a suggestion from more experienced framework developers.
Thanks for your time.
Vartan (Java fan)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've used Struts and Tapestry, and for both of those there is NO database integration.
What I have done instead is to simply call a service from either the Struts Action classes or the Tapestry Page classes that fetches the information I need to get/update/etc.
The services are really just simple classes that act as a gateway to my actual database logic. That way I can use whatever I need for information retrieval. I can switch databases, persistence logic, or even the very nature of how I store information (JDBC/Hibernate/etc.) without having to ever modify my front-end logic.
It's really not very complicated to do and I actually like having my web front-end cleanly seperated from the "heavy-lifting"

Vartan Nazarian
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll just use Struts.
Vartan

Please enjoy this holographic presentation of our apocalyptic dilemma right after this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic