• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Accelerated Learning J2ME : targeting Nokia 2700 (S40 series)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We're planning to build J2ME "data collection(Survey)" application for the Nokia 2700 cellphone (and possibly other S40 phones later) (The idea is to target a rugged $80-$100 device). This is for a Social Service initiatives for rural areas of India.

I was wondering how other mobile developers learnt J2ME ? What were the roadblocks or bumps which slowed your progress ? What gotchas should I be watching for? Where did you learn the techniques for going beyond the standard set of functionality/connectivity/etc ?

"What is the best way to start and ramp up learning J2ME" given that the initial target for the 1st year is probably ONLY 1 or 2 phones -- most probably Nokia 2700 and/or a closely related Nokia phone. How do I go from Level 0 to Level 7 (on a scale of 0 to 10) on (Nokia) J2ME as fast as possible ? What resources(free and payware) are out there ?
a) articles,
b) books,
c) tips,
d) training (in Bangalore, India OR ONLINE)

P.S : for what it's worth, I'm well versed in server side Java and Swing.

Thanks for any inputs

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, Anjan, and in case we didn't already, I'd like to welcome you to the JavaRanch.

I'm a "learn by doing" person. Nokia does provide a fairly extensive set of Java developer resources, but ultimately, what I did was sit down and write an app. Badly. As I did so, I learned what I needed to do and not to do. I just repeated the experience with Android, and while some of the original code was pretty awful, I'm now getting passably good at it - enough so that I hope to publish a "real world" app before too much longer. I owe a big debt to people who went there first and published what they'd done in their blogs. Google is a very good friend of mine.

In J2ME, of course, the lcdui GUI is a little different than something more powerful and less in need of display independence than Swing. Also, the workflow from form to form was a fundamental shaping characteristic, and to a lesser extent, the limitations of the J2ME JRE's compared with the full JRE.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic