• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OMG

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP!

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
O-M-G!!! I know, like, just what you mean!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What shall we stop ? Copenhagen ?

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

(Image is a link...)

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It would be mean of me to note that it's 64 degrees and sunny here in Austin, so I won't.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I delayed my shopping. It's 20F but went down upto 8F in the morning.

Maybe tomorrow I will be able to take some good pics.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:It would be mean of me to note that it's 64 degrees and sunny here in Austin, so I won't.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Now there's a face that could melt snow!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
-15C/5.0F with snow here. I love it!

Edit: don't you have this little circle for temp. units?

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I saw the thread title "OMG" I had just returned from a screening of Avatar. Naturally, I assumed this was a thread about that movie. (Which, by the way, kicks @$$.) So now I'm disappointed. Moreso because all that snow is falling on folks who don't appreciate it. EFH, feel free to send that snow my way. I'll make good use of it, I promise.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike Simmons wrote:When I saw the thread title "OMG" I had just returned from a screening of Avatar. Naturally, I assumed this was a thread about that movie. (Which, by the way, kicks @$$.) So now I'm disappointed. Moreso because all that snow is falling on folks who don't appreciate it. EFH, feel free to send that snow my way. I'll make good use of it, I promise.

Start a thread about the movie -- I know Gregg saw it and dug it. I am hoping to see it over the Xmas break.

If I had the forethought to spread out a big piece of plastic on my lawn before the storm started, I could go out and grab the east side of it and lift it up over my head, but as it stands, I don't really have a workable plan for getting any snow out there. Sorry.

Deepak Bala
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I am hoping to see it over the Xmas break.

Same here

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How much snow did you end up getting? I think our count of 6-12 inches was right for New York City. It's hard to tell with the gusts. Most of the snow was overnight so it looks all pretty and undisturbed right now.

Deepak Bala
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I hope you guys have work from home policies.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:How much snow did you end up getting?

I measured 19" when I went to bed, it was mostly done. News sources (WashPost, etc.) say that DC got up to 22".

Now, folks who live in snowy areas will laugh, but 22" is enough to shut down Washington for a week. We don't have the experience with snow, we don't have the plows and other equipment, they don't know where to put the snow when the plow it. The subway (Metro) closed Saturday and almost all of the above ground tracks are still closed now, very late Sunday evening. The Federal government is closed tomorrow due to snow. I expect that there will be "liberal leave" for a couple of days after that.

Given that Thursday is Christmas Eve, and even the most Scrooge-like bosses will close the office at noon, its likely that no work will be done by the Federal government this week. Which means for the rest of the year.

I remember working in Boston one winter when we got two feet of snow overnight, and the day after, the whole city was up and running. I assume that Buffalo can handle several feet without breaking a sweat. Not DC.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Fun stuff

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pat Farrell wrote:I remember working in Boston one winter when we got two feet of snow overnight, and the day after, the whole city was up and running. I assume that Buffalo can handle several feet without breaking a sweat. Not DC.

Yes, it depends a lot on the city. Where I lived in upstate NY the city (Syracuse) had snow removal equipment of a size that elsewhere is used only for clearing airport runways. The most snow I saw there was close to 3 feet over 24 hours - all the main roads were cleared fast. I remember Christmas 1995 when pretty much all other North-Eastern airports besides Syracuse had shut down - great performance by the airport crew in keeping it open, but that didn't help me since I wanted to go elsewhere from there...

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Eric Pascarello wrote:

.... and this is why I now live in Austin.

A picture, from 1997, of the final straw:

whippersnapper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:A picture, from 1997, of the final straw:

You moved from the northeast because someone dressed you in giant red romper?

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Michael Matola wrote:

Bear Bibeault wrote:A picture, from 1997, of the final straw:

You moved from the northeast because someone dressed you in giant red romper?

This is a rare photo -- it's the actual day he escaped from prison.

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Looks more like

Eric

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Michael Matola wrote:You moved from the northeast because someone dressed you in giant red romper?

Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:This is a rare photo -- it's the actual day he escaped from prison.

LOL!

Even though it's never come out of storage since moving to TX, I still have that red "romper". And although it looks kind of prison-y orange in the photo, it's actually a deep fire engine red.

I could have gotten it in navy blue, but I was going for visibility. Even though that suit was useful for snowy days (like the one pictured), it was most often used while on my Harley during the winter (which was also fire engine red, see below*).

Oh, and Ernest, our uniforms in the "institution" were robin's egg blue, not orange. And had longer sleeves.

* Me and "Big Red", 1995:

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
... not again.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Eric Pascarello wrote:

Fun stuff

when you get snowed in like this, do you have to shovel and dig this snow out yourself? does the state help in any way?

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Arvind Mahendra wrote:when you get snowed in like this, do you have to shovel and dig this snow out yourself? does the state help in any way?

The government does city streets. You are generally responsible for your sidewalk (or paying someone to do it.) If you want to get your car out of the driveway, you are responsible for that too.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One thing that I certainly do not miss about New England is that impenetrable wall of ice that the plow creates at the bottom of the driveway.

It's not that much effort to shovel out the rest of the driveway, but that last 4 feet can be a killer!

Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't get why people choose to live in places where it snows so much.

It seems like such a hassle dealing with the snow in general like wasting time each morning shoveling. Then there is the cost of heating which must be sky high I imagine, you probably have tons of car problems in that kind of freezing weather, the risk of accidents must increase, the chance of getting sick also. The cold weather makes your ears and nose hurt(personal experience)+ its so dark, gloomy and depressing.

Its not like Canada, where they don't have a choice. I can't see an upside to any of this? Is it simply tradition? Why don't people in the U.S just move south?

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bear: Or if you shovel too early, you get to do it again after the plow comes by.

Arvind: South is HOT!!! Ask Bear what the high temperature is in the summer. As for cost, he pays way much more for electricity (air conditioning) in the summer than we are paying for heating in the winter. There are very few places in the United States that are comfortable year round. And of course there are many other criteria for where to live.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yep, come on out to Southern California, make my property worth more by overcrowding and higher demand. ;)

Some people love the colder weather, some like it hot. Some love snow sports better than summer sports. Snow gives you extra days off and fun to play in. You can always easily bundle more layers of clothes to keep warm. In the heat, you can only take off so many clothes till there ain't none left to take off.

Have fun shoveling everyone. Like said the earlier you do it the easier and lighter the snow is. But the more often you get to do it if it is still snowing. ;)

Mark

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't get why people choose to live in places where it snows so much. It seems like such a hassle dealing with the snow in general like wasting time each morning shoveling.

Actually it is not as bad as it looks. It doesn't snow everyday. If it snows, it isn't heavy every time.

Then there is the cost of heating which must be sky high I imagine,

Jeanne has already pointed out regarding cost of heating.

you probably have tons of car problems in that kind of freezing weather, the risk of accidents must increase,

You don't have any car problem if you maintain it. maybe for old cars but it is season independent. . Yes if snow becomes ice (called black ice as on the road you won't see it) then just wait untill you get hit somewhere. That's why we pay high (sky high) insurance premium, ain't we?

the chance of getting sick also. The cold weather makes your ears and nose hurt(personal experience)+ its so dark, gloomy and depressing.

I took those photos ('Snowmageddon' thread ) in 9 F temperature. Everywhere you have heater, I mean everywhere, in House, Car, Malls, Trains but not in subway (Jeanne knows better).

and depressing? It's season for those who are in body building. Your metabolism is at the top. You eat alot, get bigger and see the change in your body (personal experience).

Its not like Canada, where they don't have a choice. I can't see an upside to any of this? Is it simply tradition? Why don't people in the U.S just move south?

The nature gets so beautiful that one can only imagine unless see it personally. Check out the photos in other thread. but yes Oldies do move to Florida.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We make a lot of pies this time of year.

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
... and it circled back to Pie again. LOLz...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It seems like such a hassle dealing with the snow in general like wasting time each morning shoveling.
Yeah, but its not like you are shoveling every morning, just after major storms. Like, if it is just 1-3 inches I know a lot of people that won't shovel their driveways. They will shovel sidewalks because of legal requirements, but thats about it.

Then there is the cost of heating which must be sky high I imagine
My thermometer is rarely higher than 62 degrees, and I would have it lower but my landlord (i rent an apartment) requires us to maintain at least 60 degrees.

you probably have tons of car problems in that kind of freezing weather, the risk of accidents must increase,
As stated before, car problems are going to be due more to improper maintenance than the snow. The weather does increase the risk of accidents, but I've seen people drive just as stupid in a simple rain storm as I have seen on ice.

the chance of getting sick also.
Most "cold related" illnesses actually comes from being inside with lots of people, not the actual cold/snow. And if you wash your hands, eat well, sleep regularly, exercise, your odds of getting sick aren't that much more than in warm weather.

The cold weather makes your ears and nose hurt(personal experience)+ its so dark, gloomy and depressing.
I wear a stocking cap, which keeps my ears fine. I've lived here long enough unless it is about -20 my nose doesn't freeze. I prefer to have to wear a coat outside than shorts and t-shirt weather, honestly. My belief is you can always add more layers for cold; you can only take so many off for heat.

Canadians could move south too, to the southern US. Personally, I want to move somewhere that is more reliably cold than where I am now (Iowa). We get into the single digits in the winters, occasionally below zero, and during the summer we will be over 100. I get uncomfortable with anything over 70-ish degrees. I will even be in shorts and a t-shirt in 50 degree weather. It is all I've known, so I'm used to it. I couldn't live in Texas, but I'd love the Colorado mountains or Alaska!

It is really all in personal preference. I know a couple guys that came to Iowa for college from Arizona, and they were freezing when it was 60 out. I like the cold, for the most part.

Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't think of a single rebuttal to any of the points put forth You guys completely got the better of my unsubstantiated claims and proved them to be utterly imprecise. I thought we were all friends here?

Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is like the time a few years back, where a guy came to my house to tell me about a Guy who died for my sins on the cross. I argued him on all his points and he left looking defeated and distressed. Now I know how he mustv'e felt. The Lord really does works in fun and mysterious way doesn't he?

Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One day! One day when I can think of stuff to say or just words to atrophy under the guise of serious discourse will I be back.

Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I cant live in cold weather because of the infamous 6 Ms.
1. My mojowould likely fail in sub zero weather.
2. I am no masochist. Sorry to hurt anyone by saying this
3. My Maruti would never start in that weather.
4. My mind works best in warm weather. You lose the bulk of your heat from your head and since I have a big head and just can't afford that must overhead
5. Many injuries due to accidents.
6. I would be manically depressed in the winter gloom.

There I think this settles it. I would like to not make anymore posts about this now.

Pat Farrell
Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I live near Washington DC, we got between 26 and 30 inches of snow two days ago. Not quite a meter for my Metric friends.

We are supposed to get another 10 to 20 inches tomorrow. We had 20 inches or more back in late December, and a couple of storms of 4 to 8 inches.

In a normal year, we typically get 2 to 4 storms each of which does 1 to 5 inches of snow.

Clearly this year is proof of global warming.

More seriously, the East Coast of the US has variable weather. It changes from year to year.

DC normally does not get much snow, so when it does, there is lots of news coverage. And because we don't get it often, we don't have equipment to clear it, and drivers have no practice in driving on snow covered roads. If you go north, say Boston, Albany, or Buffalo, they get big amounts of snows and clear it up quickly and efficiently. Places farther South do much worse. Two inches of snow in Atlanta will close the city for a week.

W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pat Farrell wrote:
...drivers have no practice in driving on snow covered roads.

And yet, it never surprises me how quickly people forget how to drive on bad roads. Today coming to work I had to drive 35 on a 70 MPH road because of the weather, and some guy in a truck blew past me like it was a clear July day. Some people never learn...

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic