• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Configuring Eclipse embedded Tomcat to use SSL

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've set up stand along Tomcat installs to use SSL and they've worked. And that's what all the tutorials/examples I've found say.

However, I'm trying to get the Tomcat embedded in Eclipse to use SSL. I've enabled the connector in server.xml, but it doesn't seem to see my .keystore file. It's not throwing any error, so I'm not sure where to set the file up in order for it to work. Also, when I was modifying the server.xml file, Tomcat kept not starting correctly. So I'm not sure if there's a problem there as well.

TIA.

Bai Shen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I fixed the issue with the keystore. I had to put the file in my Eclipse directory.

However, since changing the server.xml to enable SSL, I keep getting an error that Tomcat was unable to start in 45 seconds. The console tells me that Tomcat successfully started, so I'm not sure what is causing the error message.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Bai Shen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think I've figured out the problem. Eclipse is looking for an open HTTP port in order to establish that Tomcat is started. By switching to SSL and removing the HTTP connector, Eclipse can't tell if Tomcat is running or not, and therefore gives the timeout error message.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic