• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

researching java content management systems

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE VI Editor Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm helping choose our organization's content management system.
Here are some requirements gathered so far. I have a fair amount of experience with Drupal, but we have a Java environment.

user friendly: Something as easy as Drupal to let users edit their own content
skinnable (i.e. be able to drop themes in for different parts of the organization)
extendable: We have some special data sets that we'll need to make special models for.
securable: We need to have some "non-public" data on there.
graph generation: Has a way to transform data into charts/graphs.
Most of the ones I've read about seem to meet these needs fairly well. So far, I've fixated on Alfresco as a solution and I hope to hear from others here about their experience with this rather complex piece of software.

My real question though is about two of our requirements I'm not finding out much about:

We plan to offer "ad-hoc" queries and really we need a set of rules on the back end that prevent private data from being queried through the ad-hoc tools.
A lot of people in our organization use SAS, which has excellent tools for defining which data cannot be accessed. Unfortunately, a SAS server license is prohibitively expensive, so we can't really integrate SAS. So, I'm searching for tools that allow one to define content access privleges in a granular way.

Integration with GIS or spatial data. It seems like the GIS world and the open source java world have not talked to one another very well yet. Anyone have any experience integrating GIS into one of these tools. Specifically, we will need to be spitting out maps (county, city, etc, colored in with various data)

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic