• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJB usage in a web system

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi,

I'm a working on a web system for my final year project and I'm using SpringMVC and Hibernate for this project. Since it is my final year project, for my experience and learning, i wanted ti integrate EJB 3.0 too, but i'm a little bit confused
in how to use it in this project. Can anyone please guide me on how to use or for what purposes we can use EJB 3 in a SpringMVC + Hibernate project???

thanks in advance.

Greenhorn
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Prasath,

You can use EJB3 to implement the business(or services) layer in you web application.
I do not know what kind of your web app is but using EJBs might be overkill.
You can dispense with EJBs and use POJOs with Spring lightweight container instead.
If you go without EJBs, I would suggest that you read "Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB" by Rod Johnson.

Regards,
Igor Baiborodine.

Prasath Premkumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thanks for the reply Igor.

If i'm using hibernate, where does EJB comes in and what are the purposes served by them each? And i didnt get the point you mentioned about POJOs with spring container to replace EJBs. Can you please give a small
explanation about what you said or provide me a link where i can learn about it?

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If i'm using hibernate, where does EJB comes in and what are the purposes served by them each?

EJB != persistence. Entity beans did, but they are long dead. EJBs containers cover a lot of the ground Spring does so you can integrate the two but the choice tends to be Spring or EJBs. See this.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic