• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJD Prepartation HELP!!!

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers,
I would like to prepare for SCJD. First I would like up to take up the GUI Part.Could anyone please guide me to a book using which I could clear all the concepts related to UI and can practice the code examples.
Thanks,
Niteen.

Ranch Hand
Scala Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I am currently reading this SCJD Exam with J2SE 5 2nd Edition by Andrew Monkhouse and Terry Camerlengo, published by Apress.

I haven't get to the GUI part yet but I quickly browsed through chapters, I can safely say that it's enough to get me through the exam.

The book was suggested by someone else to me too in this forum

Regards,
Allan

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

While I personally haven't read it, the book mentioned by Allan is very good (according to many posters on this forum).

Just remember that there is errata for that book and keep in mind that if you were to take the code snippets as they are
you may not pass the SCJD. There's a good thread Copying Monkhouse.

Also, some other certification books of use can be found here: Certification Books.

As for the GUI, if I was you, I'd first focus on the back end, ie. database reading/writing, locking and so on. Having a well
thought out implementation and well tested locking mechanism and database access routines makes your life easier, imho.

Vlad

Patil Niteen
Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Allan and Vlad for your valuable posts.

Could anyone please help me out with the smart way of preparation for SCJD exam.
I need a setp by step preparation method.
1. Which part to take up first for reading and practice and how to proceed the preparation task.
2.Any projects to practice during preparation.
3. If some sample project assignments are available its very good.

Thanks,
Niteen.

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Patil,

You decide of course how you are tackling this assignment. I started with the back-end, because in the end that's the most important part and therefor it is also one of the major scoring sections (while gui is just 10% of total points). I would certainly advise you to read the ScjdFaq, it is a very valuable information pool and you don't have to ask the typical beginner questions (like which book should/could I read), because it is all well explained in the faq.
If you want to know how I experienced this assignment and which steps I took, just click on the scjd-link in my signature.

The Andrew Monkhouse book has a sample project, the source code can be downloaded from the apress website. Based on this example all you need to know to pass the exam is explained. And like Vlad already indicated: it is a similar project to the one you'll get, so you can only use it as an inspiration, not to just copy-and-paste (because that will result in automatic failure).
Other sample project assignments don't exist, because it is simply forbidden to share the assignments (like it is also forbidden to share real questions from the SCJP-exam)

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Roel

Patil Niteen
Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Roel.
Sure,I will go through the ScjdFag and SCJD link inyour signature.

Thanks again,
Niteen.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic