• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Can someone please explain local variables inside a static method?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm a bit confused here. Basically, I have two static methods, reverse() and reverseWords(). I have declared a String answer inside reverse() and a String answer inside reverseWords().

Why does the second answer variable inside reverseWords() not get recognized? Is this second answer variable a static variable implicitly b/c it's inside a static method? Or is it a local variable whose scope is just inside the reverseWords() method? Is there two copies of the answer variable, one for each method, or just one for the entire class?

Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Simply going "String answer;", is not enough. You never constructed 'answer'.

I think that's what is wrong. What are you trying to do?

Oliver Chase
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Charles Mulloy wrote:Simply going "String answer;", is not enough. You never constructed 'answer'.

I think that's what is wrong. What are you trying to do?

Thank you Charles!

So maybe I just have a general question...

Are local variables declared inside a static method considered local and static? Could another static method access my local variable?

method2() is referring to the x that is used in method1(). But x is local. But x is also static implicitly (I think), which means that there is one copy of x per class? Does my confusion seem to arise from some rational thought?

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to Javaranch!

puff tissue wrote:

Please change your display name to use your real first and last names. Obviously fictitious names are not allowed under JavaRanch's Naming Policy.

Now for your query,

puff tissue wrote:Why does the second answer variable inside reverseWords() not get recognized? Is this second answer variable a static variable implicitly b/c it's inside a static method? Or is it a local variable whose scope is just inside the reverseWords() method? Is there two copies of the answer variable, one for each method, or just one for the entire class?

What do you mean by "not get recognized"? What is the error that you are getting?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"puff tissue", please check your private messages for an important administrative matter.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The static method can be directly called on the class instead of the class object. But still the variables declared inside the method are local variables which reside on the stack. If it would have been a class level static variable then it would have been visible in method2(). So your variable x here is a local variable to the static method method1() and hence it is not accessible in method2()

Oliver Chase
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Suhas! I understand it now.

Charles Mulloy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My Professor explained it like this. "Methods are greedy and don't like to share." Consider the following code, (assume there is a main() method somewhere running these methods. It's late where I am, and I feel lazy):

If a variable is declared and constructed in a method, then other methods cannot see them. The above will get an error. But consider this code:

The way I used the variables above allows any method to use them, because of the way they where declared. "z" was declared, but not constructed. methodThree() constructed and then used it. One last trick:

In the above, methodOne() called methodTwo() and passed "x" to it. methodTwo() "received" the value as "out". This is a convenient way to quickly pass a value to another method without making the value global.

I hope this helps. (And that I didn't go overboard...)

Suhas Bilaye
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thanks Suhas! I understand it now.

You are welcome Oliver

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic