• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Advise sought on design pattern

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi every body
I am working on java for the past one year mainly on servlets and jsp and using struts as the framework. I have been using the MVC pattern.
Now I have been asked by the TL to update myself on the design patterns.
I surfed a few sites on design patterns. But I am confused as to when and how will I use the design patterns? And which pattern should I use ?Am I supposed to learn all the patterns?

I am basically a programmer. And what I have come to know is that the design patterns are software-engineering and design concepts . So on the retrospect can infer that I will be put through a software designers work in the near future. I am a little excited and nervous as well.

Please advise.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Brendon,
As you might already know, design pattern is a fancy word for a set of well known problem-solution combinations that have been identified and defined based on past experiences. So to know when to apply what pattern, you should first understand what kind of problem each pattern solves. And design patterns are not just meant for some designers. As a programmer, if are familiar with these patterns, it will only make you better. Also design patterns might be confusing and intimidating for some beginners. So starting with looking at some code samples might help you understand. There are so many resources out there, but see if this one helps Design Patterns. Good luck.

Velu Kasirajah

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Brendon you may find the free introductory videos here useful.

We must storm this mad man's lab and destroy his villanous bomb! Are you with me tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic