• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

App migration - Struts to spring

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
In our organization, there is a major migration(around 200 apps) work happening for all struts app to spring. Most of the application are very small application with a max of 3 to 5 main JSPs.

As far as i have seen all app should be rewritten, since jsps has script lets.. validation has been done using JS.. persistence layer should also be modified implementing hibernate.

Give this i am not sure how plan for migration ..from where to start how to start since the the apps are huge in numbers. If any one already worked on such a huge migration projects it will be great if they can throw some light on how to structurise a plan for this.

Like any advised or suggested implementation methodology that could help to save time or make the implementation less tedious.

Thanks
BalaRT

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there a compelling reason to migrate?

Personally, I'd first move all Java code out of the JSPs and into the actions. I'd then convert the actions into Spring controllers. I'd leave the data access the same for now (I just don't see how an app with only a couple of pages would benefit from a move to Hibernate, but it depends on information I don't have). If the apps didn't already have back-end validation I'd definitely fix that as it's a huge security risk.

Another option would be to introduce Spring into the existing apps, move data access/services into Spring beans injected into the Struts actions, then convert the apps during naturally-occurring maintenance work.

Bala RThiagarajan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot for the suggestion .. I think your input will be use full for sure..

regarding your question on reason for migration
Yep .. these app were developed log back i guess when they were using WAS 3.5X version and now we are migrating to WAS 7.0 .. and thats why there is a need for migration.. there are other internal framework related reason as well for this migration.

Kindly let me know if you can provide more thoughts on this..

Once agian thanks a lot for your suggestion ..

Greenhorn
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hello friend,
I have written a blog regarding struts to spring3(using annotations) migration. Please check the following link..

http://java-developers-space.blogspot.in/2013/08/struts-to-spring-migration.html

I hope, it will be useful..

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there scope for reuse of code between apps, you might want to think about designing building blocks around reusable pieces as you migrate to spring
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic