• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question on non-functional requirements in Allen & Bambara SCEA book

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
At the end of Chap. 2 of the Allen and Bambara book, there is the following question:

2. Which of the following are nonfunctional requirements?

A. Scalability, availability, extensibility, manageability, and security
B. Performance, reliability, elaboration, transition, documentation, and security
C. Specification, elaboration, construction, transition, use cases, and security
D. Performance, availability, scalability, and security
E. Reliability, availability, scalability, manageability, and security

It lists the correct answers as D).

However, in the same book chapter 2) under Capabilities of an Architecture it states:

As mentioned, capabilities are the nonfunctional, observable system qualities including scalability, manageability, performance, availability, reliability, and security, which are defined in terms of context.

To me, this indicates that the answer should be E) rather than D).

In any case, what are the non-functional requirements anyway? The book then goes on to define the following 11 system quality measures:
Availability
Reliability
Manageability
Flexibility
Performance
Capacity
Scalability
Extensibility
Validity
Reusability
Security

Aren't all these non-functional requirements?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It seams that also A is correct , So IMO the correct answers are: A, D,E. Only B and C are evidently wrong.

According to Cade/Sheil book the list of non-functional requirements is following:
Performance
Scalability
Reliability
Availability
Extensibility
Maintainability
Manageability
Security

The rest from you list like "capacity" can be treated rather as system characteristics, not a non-functional requirement.

Anyway you should not worry to much about this type of questions. the real exam contains more interesting, scenario-type questions.
So, for you it is enough to understand the definition of every non-functional requirement.

BTW, such mock tests quite often contain wrong or not clear answers. I used ePractize and the percentage of doubtful questions/answers was at quite high level (about 5-10 %).
I had no more than 70-75 % results on ePractize tests, but reached 87% on real exam

Femi Byte
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot for your response. It helps clear up things quite a bit.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Very Good Post Pawel.

Thank you very much

Cheers!
Prathap.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You wont have a question like this on the actual exam - I'm pretty sure. The questions are on how you apply your knowledge of the "...abilities" to a given situation instead of just a knowledge of what they are or in which category they belong to.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I came across this issue today and was very confused. As mentioned in the question the book I use (OCM Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Exam Guide) mentions a list of "Capabilities and System Qualities":Availability,Reliability,Manageability,Flexibility,Performance,Capacity,Scalability,Extensibility,Validity,Reusability,Security.

In the section that summarizes the chapter he also draws up list of "The nonfunctional / QoS requirements".

Until I read this question I understood that this list was considered non-functional requirements for the exam, so my answer to this question was A, D, E.

The justification for the alternative "A" be considered wrong is as follows:

"There is the mention of extensibility (Ability to easily add or extend functionality) and manageability (Ability to monitor the health of the system). Hence, choice A is incorrect."

The justification for the alternative "E" be considered wrong is as follows:

"While scalability and reliability may be related (Will Perform the system to operate reliably When more users on it?), There is the mention of reliability in the question. Hence, choice E is incorrect."

For me, justifications devoid of any sense.

Could someone clarify this confusion?

This tiny ad is wafer thin:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic