• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Icefaces woes converting 1.7 VWP app to 1.8 non-vwp

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Can anyone please help me in my migration from a VWP (Visual Web) project.

I have setup a JSP based IceFaces 1.8 project and am trying to port over my managed beans, my first stumbling block is that the beans extend AbstractPageBean which isn't immediately available.

Can anyone tell me whether I should be trying to use this still or not? And if so the promper import path for the bean.

If I don't use it then I no longer have all the extended methods available, init, prerender etc. which is a lot of code lies.

Thanks

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Dave,

I don't have any experience with VWP nor ICEfaces, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help with this specific question. However, if you are starting a new project to migrate to, why are you using JSP and not Facelets? In my opinion, Facelets should be used on any new project instead of JSP. Unless you are forced to use JSP, there is simple no good reason not to use Facelets. But that's a side not. Sorry I can't help with the VWP/ICEfaces stuff.

Best regards,
Bart

Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bart,

Basically I'm trying JSP firstly because I want to get my project back up to speed.. It's been on hold for a long time now. Since Icefaces dropped their VWP support, meant any work on this project had to be continued using netbeans 6.5. Unfortunately I never realised at the time I was working on the project just how dependent on the VWP icefaces can be, so when it came time to update to Icefaces 1.8 and No VWP dependancy, nothing worked...

I actually tried today to install netbeans 6.5 and use icefaces again, but nowadays even their own netbeans plugin doesnt work with a fresh install of NB6.5..

I did consider changing to facelets but then there's an additional learning curve and a lot of changes to make, at the moment I just want to get working on it again with the code I had lol

Really if I had time, I'd look into porting to JSF 2, & annotations etc, but first things first...

Bart Kummel
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Dave,

I get your point. It sounds like you made a well thought decision. Pity I can't help you on the ICEfaces/VWP stuff. Let's hope someone else here at the Ranch can help you.

Best regards,
Bart

Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bart Kummel wrote:Hi Dave,

I get your point. It sounds like you made a well thought decision. Pity I can't help you on the ICEfaces/VWP stuff. Let's hope someone else here at the Ranch can help you.

Best regards,
Bart

Me too, there's no support from IF unless you pay for it these days :'(

Dave Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Seems the abstractpagebean, abstractrequest/session beans are all part of the visual web components.

Personally I think thats a really bad design flaw, in that the VWP portion should have only have been there for the purpose of visually designing jsp pages at DESIGN time, and not common backing bean methods used in the runtime.

So now the VWP has been dropped, so much more is lost... I can easily live without a visual designer... but the projects should still in theory be able to run.

What a fluff

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic