• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Ruby as robust as java

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Folks,

I'm a new on RoR, I'm just wondering is Ruby has an equivalent of EJBs to build robust business application ?

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Robust JEE applications require EJBs?! Hogwash.

No, there is no equivalent of an EJB in RoR. RoR is the antithesis of JEE.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can certainly build robust business applications with Rails - I think the real question is why would you need an equivalent of EJB to do so? Think of all the php, coldfusion, asp. .net, and even Java based robust business applications that don't use EJB. I currently work in financial services and we've removed all EJB from our applications (and frankly, it's the best thing we've ever done).

I'd really rather look at what I actually need: transaction control (check), ability to handle complex tasks (check), lot's of data (check), security (check). I'd also love it if this wasn't a "brand new" technology, but already vetted by trusted authorities (check).

We don’t need massive EJB deployments. We need to build feature-rich, dependable, scalable, and beautiful web apps. And we need to build them yesterday quickly.

Here is one of my favorite Rails apps which shows the human genome project. It's big. It's complex. It's Rails.

Mamadou Touré
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't say that JEE needs EJBs to be robust, but the EJB containers can help a lot by providing automatically the ''ilities'', so the the developper can just concentrate on the business code

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Apart from EJB (that I'm not very fond of for various reasons), there is some consensus that the reference C implementation of Ruby is not as rock-solid as Java for long-lived processes. I never had any problems personally, but it's a known fact that Ruby's garbage collection doesn't perform as well as Java's. Also, threads in Ruby don't map on native OS threads, like Java threads do - so, multithreading in Ruby is less reliable than multithreading in Java. I don't know about alternate implementations, like JRuby.

On the other hand, this turns out not to be a problem in practice. The Ruby approach is simply not to write long-lived multithreaded processes. I'll give you an example: a web application.

The typical approach with Java is a Java Enterprise (or Spring-based) multithreaded application. Each request is served by a separate thread, and the JVM process is supposed to stay up indefinitely.

With Ruby, you'll probably adopt a "share nothing" architecture: all web requests are collected by a load balancer that distributes them to a number of Ruby processes (not threads). The processes can be distributed over multiple servers. Each process serves one single request at a time. Processes are stateless: once the request has been served, you can kill the process, and you won't lose any data. All the user state is either kept in the database, or some kind of external cache (like a memcached server).

My opinion is that a "shared nothing" application makes long-lived processes and multithreading way less important, and is overall easier to both develop and operate. If you want to update your app, you just take a server off the load balancer, update it, restart it, and put it on the load balancer again (it's not always that easy, but in many cases it is). In my experience, a stateful application is generally more complex to deploy and administrate.

In general, what I found is that if you stick with the Ruby "philosophy", then many of the problems that Java is poised to solve become irrelevant.

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Excellent posts by Michael and Paolo. Great information!

Mamadou Touré
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Paolo for these clarifications

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic