• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Guidance for the SCJD

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hey guys ...i passes scjp 1.6 on 22nd march with 98% marks .Now i wanna go for scjd and wanna complete it in atmost 4-5 months .plzz guide me

kind regards
nitin garg

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

nitin garg.ymca wrote: hey guys ...i passes scjp 1.6 on 22nd march with 98% marks .Now i wanna go for scjd and wanna complete it in atmost 4-5 months .plzz guide me

Congratulations on your excellent score!

The most helpful guidance for your pursuit of the SCJD is available in the two FAQ documents linked at the top of the page: the Reading Material FAQ and the SCJD FAQ.

If you have specific questions that are permitted here but not answered in those documents, feel free to start a thread for each topic of interest!

Regards,
David Byron

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nitin Garg ymca wrote: hey guys ...i passes scjp 1.6 on 22nd march with 98% marks .Now i wanna go for scjd and wanna complete it in atmost 4-5 months .plzz guide me

This thread will be helpful for you (together with the links suggested by David Byron)

Kind regards,
Roel

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am a 3rd year engg student ...so dont have much programming experience but i can even spend 12 hours a day from 22nd may(summer vacations) ....i have started reading andrew monkehouse book .....can i get some sample projects anywhere . can someone provide me pinpoint approach for scjd

kind regards
nitin garg

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The only sample project is Denny's DVD and the real assignments will not be shared, because that's not allowed.

In my opinion you should first have a couple of years of experience as a professional programmer/developer, before taking the SCJD. Because someone with no (or limited) experience can not be a (good) (certified) developer. You just need real life experiences. It is just a process: you start as a programmer, when working as a programmer you become more experienced and you learn a whole lot which will make you a better programmer/developer. And then it's time to take this certification. I downloaded my assignment when I had 3 years of experience being a java programmer/developer (and finished the assignment due to lack of time 2 years later).
When I was a recruiter and I saw a CV which mentions SCJP and SCJD on it, but without any real life experience, I certainly won't hire that person, because best learning school is working for a company (with other more experienced developers which share their knowledge,...). But as I said: that's just my opinion about taking SCJD.

Other questions like yours were answered here and here.

And if you want a pinpoint approach for scjd, you can have a read of the stories of ranchers passing the SCJD exam (you'll find a link to mine in my signature).

Kind regards,
Roel

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks Roel for your valuable comments .The Reason i was thinking to go for SCJD as in our university we are required to submit a project in 7th semester and i have time till december to learn ' how the things really work'

I dont want to move ahead without testing whatever i have learnt while studying for SCJP .Moreover,later if i finds my inexperience is affecting the assignment part ,i can take some
web support(Enthuware type)
Atleast at the end of the year ,i would submit a project that i have built rather than taking source from the net,and then studying it.

please if you have the different opinion please tell me as you are much experienced than me . only you can tell me 'how the things really work'

why won't a recruiter recruit a person with scjd in his college time ??? atleast the person can handle a project given to him in a much better way ...isn't that ???

Regards
nitin garg

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
what else i am thinking is to study the book deeply (andrew monkhouse) and try a lot of coding for 2 months ..then think of going for scjd or not ??? i am very much bored of learning without implementing in real terms.

i hope my recruiter's here in india understand this ,otherwise all efforts will turn fruitless.

Regards
nitin garg

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Nitin,

I just said that that was my opinion. After finishing the SCJD you could go for the SCEA, but will this certification make you a real architect? I'm certainly it will not! A developer without any real life experience is just an unexperienced developer (with or without the certification).
Having these certificates shows you are dedicated and eager to learn, which are also both 2 very good characteristics for a developer. And I guess in India there are a whole lot of people and thus also a lot of potential developers, so you have to distinguish yourself from other programmers. And then another certificate certainly can be a benefit.

Of course the recruiting process is a complex process in which not only your technical skills matter (but also your personality, motivation,...).

I don't want to discourage you at all about taking scjd If you think it will give you an edge in the recruiting process, you should certainly go for it!

Kind regards,
Roel

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic