• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JSF In Action: How Much Action?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have several books from the In Action series and I've always had a problem with the titles because I feel the In Action series is more of an Under The Hood series. Basically, the books I have read dig fairly deep into the API and show the workings of the API rather than show us how to use the API; the action.

What kind of percentage would you give to discussing the API and showing us how to use the API in your book?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Gregg,

I'd say that most of the book is "in action". I'm a practical guy, and I've been a developer and managed developers, so I know that it's more important to see how to do something than to know every detail of the API. The trick in a book is to balance between the two, and I definitely focus more on examples. There are two chapters that cover the API, and two introductory chapters that explain what JSF is, its core concepts, and how it works. Everything else is about how to use different pieces of JSF, how to build an application, and how to build custom components. There's also an extensive case study.

Hope this helps .

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Kito. I couldn't resist to go ahead and buy the eCopy book because it's such a good deal. So I am reading it right now and so far I am pretty impressed. Thanks for the info.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic