• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Authentication with Subversion and Apache

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I am trying to configure authentication with Apache for Subversion repository. I have successfully (hopefully as it didn't error out) setup authentication for a user "harry" with corresponding password "test" as shown below:

The file "svn-auth-file" is created in C:\svn_repository\conf too. Since I didn't get any error/s and the file is created, this must be good.

And added the following entries in the httpd.conf file.

I restarted Apache and tried to access the repository with http://localhost/svn, I do get asked for user name and password. Using "harry" and "test" does not work as it just keeps asking me for user name and password. Any idea what I am missing here that Its not working?

Thanks.
T

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yup. Their documentation isn't precise enough. The svn authentication files are for use with the SVN server. When you're using Apache/DAV as the interface, you set up Apache security, instead.

Tim Francisco
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:Yup. Their documentation isn't precise enough. The svn authentication files are for use with the SVN server. When you're using Apache/DAV as the interface, you set up Apache security, instead.

Ok. I am confused. I thought I did installed SVN server.

Is there a resolution to this though?

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
SVN consists of several components, frequently all bundled as a unit.

There's the admin SVN utilities, which set up the archive filesystem structure and maintain the archives.

There's the svn server, which can run either via the Unix superserver (inet) or as a stand-alone daemon.

There's the svn user client utilities, which all users to check projects in and out and commit changes, etc. These utilities can operate against a local archive on a time-shared system (not very common these days), via the svn server, or via HTTP/DAV.

Not generally part of the package:

There's also mod_dav, which is a plugin for the Apache webserver. It allows users to use DAV to talk to Subversion. Other servers such as IIS may have their own plug-ins for the same purpose.

When they do that, the subversion security files are not referenced. Mod_dav uses Apache's security system, so access is controlled as part of the general web access control mechanisms such as the ".htaccess" files and the settings in Apache's httpd.conf files. Which may reference security plugins. Mine uses the LDAP plugin, for example.

Tim Francisco
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:SVN consists of several components, frequently all bundled as a unit.

There's the admin SVN utilities, which set up the archive filesystem structure and maintain the archives.

There's the svn server, which can run either via the Unix superserver (inet) or as a stand-alone daemon.

There's the svn user client utilities, which all users to check projects in and out and commit changes, etc. These utilities can operate against a local archive on a time-shared system (not very common these days), via the svn server, or via HTTP/DAV.

Not generally part of the package:

There's also mod_dav, which is a plugin for the Apache webserver. It allows users to use DAV to talk to Subversion. Other servers such as IIS may have their own plug-ins for the same purpose.

When they do that, the subversion security files are not referenced. Mod_dav uses Apache's security system, so access is controlled as part of the general web access control mechanisms such as the ".htaccess" files and the settings in Apache's httpd.conf files. Which may reference security plugins. Mine uses the LDAP plugin, for example.

Tim Thanks for your constant reply.

I just changed AuthType to Basic from Digest and it works. I changed back to Digest from Basic, and does not work.

There's something that needs to be configured for the Digest to work based on what I am seeing.

It runs on an internal combustion engine. This ad does not:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic