• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question for Nitpickers / Organisers

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,

I am in the process of transferring universities right now as the one I am at is not taking me where I want to go. I would like to know if you feel that the cattle drive would be accepted by a university as an acceptable substitute for a single semester Java course? The cattle drive sounds excellent, but $200 is a lot to shell out if I can't get credit towards my degree with it. They are pretty flexible I believe, as long as the material is covered.

Here is a little overview on the course in particular:

Course: Software Development 2

Rationale
Software Development 2 builds on the unit Software Development 1 to the entry level needed by all majors. The unit prepares you for the more advanced theory and data structures of Software Development 3 for the Software Engineering and Data Communications majors and provides a foundation in key java classes. Since successful software development relies on reuse of one's own code and of 'third party' software libraries, Software Development 2 extends programming skills in more complex environments while actually doing less coding and relying more upon reuse. Thus this unit prepares you for future programming units in any major involving sophisticated data structures, industry standard 3GL languages, or large-scale software engineering.

Aims
This unit aims to extend your understanding of programming. You should develop further skills in object-oriented programming, and understand the concepts of data aggregation and manipulation - as expressed in the abstract and through formal specification, and through their implementation in an object-oriented programming language.

Objectives
The learning outcomes for this unit are that you should be able to:-

1. Understand the separation of specification and implementation in programming;

2. Understand the use of formal notation in specification;

3. Appreciate the versatility of a small number of generic ways of organising data into Abstract Data Types (ADTs), eg stacks, sets, "data sets" or tables;

4. Critically compare alternative implementations of these ADTs.

and that you should be able to use Java to:

5. Write programs that use multiple classes;

6. Implement various Abstract Data Types (ADTs);

7. Develop a coding style suited to Object-Oriented programming and re-use;

8. Use advanced language features such as recursion, file handling and exceptions, and write code to manipulate linked data structures;

and that you should be able to use appropriate mathematical notation to:

9. Read and write formal specifications expressed in the refinement calculus notation;

10. Analyse the time complexity of alternative implementation data structures and associated algorithms.

Graduate capabilities

You will gain or improve your skills in the following areas:

11. Knowledge and skills in this discipline;

12. Problem-solving skills;

13. Ability to use specific sources (application programming interfaces) to facilitate problem solving;

14. Time management and self-assessment skills.

Thank you very much if you answer this, I know you all are very busy with peoples assignments and undoubtably many other things, and I appreciate your help.

Cheers!

- Ray
[ August 13, 2004: Message edited by: Ray Muirhead ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic