• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

a question about the cert

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello friends,

My name is Kent Chung. Today I received SCJP Certification(scjp 6), but I found Jonathan I. Schwartz's signature on it. I know Jonathan is the former CEO of Sun, but who can tell me why his name is still on the cert? Has he retired, hasn't he?

Please reply me.
Kent

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch.

Maybe because they just didn't update it yet with the new boss' signature? Probably those guys don't personally sign each SCJP certificate by hand, otherwise they'd have nothing else to do than sign certificates all day. Is it really important to you whose signature is on your certificate?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

Welcome to Javaranch. You should be concerned as long as you got your certification done.
What happens after official documentation is the company headache.

Stay cool,

Ranch Hand
Oracle Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kent , welcome to ranch and congrats on your certificate!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kent Chung wrote: Today I received SCJP Certification(scjp 6), but I found Jonathan I. Schwartz's signature on it. I know Jonathan is the former CEO of Sun, but who can tell me why his name is still on the cert? Has he retired, hasn't he?

Congratulations on your newly minted SCJP 6 Certificate. Jonathan Schwartz's signature is going to make it a collector's item in the future. Jonathan resigned from Sun in February but at 45 years old and with a brilliant mind for technology and business, he is a long way from retiring. He has battled against older luminaries like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates regarding Sun's software rights and won. So, with his past experience, he will still be significant somewhere in the industry.

Kent Chung
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper Young wrote:Welcome to JavaRanch.

Maybe because they just didn't update it yet with the new boss' signature? Probably those guys don't personally sign each SCJP certificate by hand, otherwise they'd have nothing else to do than sign certificates all day. Is it really important to you whose signature is on your certificate?

Thank you all! It's so nice meeting you here.

I mean if the company you may work for in future would check your cert someday, when they ask you why, how can you answer it? Don't you think it's a little odd?

Larry Chung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kent Chung wrote:Thank you all! It's so nice meeting you here.

I mean if the company you may work for in future would check your cert someday, when they ask you why, how can you answer it? Don't you think it's a little odd?

What will the future company ask about? Employers don't ask about the certification score and so I am sure they will not about Jonathan Schwartz's signature. Also, although it is nice to have the certificate it is useless to bring it to job interviews or hang it on your cubicle wall, if you have one. No one really cares about what the certificate looks like. It's only necessary to provide your certificate's Sun ID to prove that you passed the exam and that you have been certified.

Congratulations again.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic