• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ease of Use/Porting?

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Heya.

I'm sure this has been asked at some point, in some form or another, but since I couldn't find a clear answer to my questions... I figured I'd ask rather than lurk.

My question's one of ease of use and migration. At the moment, I hand-code my apps to follow MVC patterns, though I have to admit the idea of using a tool to assist in this appeals to me. What's stopped me thus far is having a rather vague idea of the amount of effort needed to migrate to a framework tool. Obviously, some of the code would have to be redone (or so I figure), but the question that lingers in my mind is - how much of my effort am I going to have to duplicate to utilize a tool? Is it fairly painless - be it Spring, or Struts, or another tool - and quick to get rolling (as it was when I taught myself Hibernate), or is it better for me to wait for a lull between projects to take the time to get rolling?

Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am not quite sure what are you calling a tool :-(. But the points to analyse before migrating are quite easy to imagine:
  • pros/cons list
  • budget
  • willingness

• ./pope

Theodore Casser
    Ranch Hand
    Hibernate Spring Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Originally posted by Ali Pope:
    I am not quite sure what are you calling a tool :-(. But the points to analyse before migrating are quite easy to imagine:

• pros/cons list
  • budget
  • willingness

• ./pope

I suppose 'tool' is probably the wrong word. But still.

Budget's not a concern - the project I'd consider starting out on this with is something I'm working on in my free time, so it's more for 'fun' than anything professional.

I'm more than willing to learn something new, but the question in my mind really is a matter of how much of my existing code I'm going to have to throw out and redo. Since I don't have any real way to evaluate that based on just looking at the documentation, I'm curious as to any practical advice from others out here.

Hope that clarifies.

Alexandru Popescu
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    But from my position I am not able to see how is your application at this moment .

./pope

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic