• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

back up software?

Ranch Hand
jQuery Postgres Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

For my java development, I have just bought a new computer along with an external hard drive with back up software to back up my files and repository. Unfortunately the back up software that came with the drive is more suited to a user who knows very little, the software provides very little control.

Is anybody able to suggest software that I could use to back up my working copy(on C Drive) and my repository (D Drive) to an external hard drive? I am thinking of something simple that would just copy a folder and subfolder and files to an external drive.

Any advice appreciated.

Marten

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Depending on the vendor, some external drives are coming with backup software integrated.

For regular folks (even some with a tech background), I do like the new Windows 7 backup application.... you could have any old external or NAS drive for that.

marten koomen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Janeice

My external HD did come with software (WD Essentials with SmartWare) but it gives me no control. I have got windows 7 so I'll check out the back up facility on that.

Cheers

Janeice DelVecchio
Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most end user stuff is going to be pretty mundane and watered down...... you could see if you could purchase an individual license for Symantec Backup Executive or some other business class software.

What features, specifically, are you looking for? If you have a WD HD in your laptop you get an oem license for Acronis Image Home (on their site... I think you need the SN).... that might have more features, but still, it's a home version. I find it pretty good, and Acronis is better (for me) than Norton host.

marten koomen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
what I would like, ideally, is software where I can 1) select a folder to be backed up 2) select a folder (on another HD) to back up to, and then either 3a) automatically keep a copy of folder 1 to folder 2, or 3b)copy one folder 1 to folder 2 whenever I click a button.

Before I go to bed at night, I want to be able to see two copies of what I have done before I log off. I'll explore the Windows 7 option, if that does not suit I will explore professional options.

marten koomen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
FYI - I found Areca which is free backup software that I will be using, it's java based and reasonably easy to get it to do what I wanted it to do using the tutorial.

Here is the link Areca

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic