• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tooltip with Close button

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A tooltip is shown when a user hovers the mouse cursor over the element and disappears when the mouse cursor out that element.
But I have got a requirement where the tooltip keeps open until the user closes it. Is there a way to implement this in RichFaces?

Thank you,
Himalay

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's not a "tooltip". It's more like a dialog which is opened by hovering a cursor.

By and large, we don't want tooltips that hang around indefinitely, since they clutter up the screen and may block input. However, you should be able to get the effect you want by using a however JavaScript event to make a <div> containing the "tip" visible and put a clickable area within that for a close box (I'd appreciate "ESC" key closing as well, myself).

The closest thing actually built into RichFaces that I can recall is their Dialog capability, but that will block input to the underlying page and fuzz out the background as well (except in IE).

However, there may be something more suitable and I just haven't noticed it.

Himalay Majumdar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Our business doesnt seem to like the modal/dialog as compared to tooltip. But thanks for the idea.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic