• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Starting/Stopping Tomcat Services Remotely

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello; this is most likely a very noob question, and I apologize.

I was wondering if it was possible to start and stop the Tomcat services on a Server, from a Workstation. Currently our users have to go to the server to start and stop Tomcat when doing their work. I am supporting a remote customer in trying to find an answer and they are asking me to look at one of two options to see if they will work;

1. Can you write a script on the workstation within the startup and shutdown .bat files which can remotely start and stop the service on the server?
2. If the above cannot be done, can you run the start/stop scripts over sc.exe (the workstations are Windows, the server Linux).

In talking with people the consensus seems to be that using remote desktop or Terminal Services (mstsc) would be the way to go. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can look at Tomcat Manager , but allowing the users to start/stop tomcat services sounds a little bit weird for me.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I use ssh, and in Windows, that's PuTTY unless I've bulked up the machine with cygwin (and sometimes even then!). I've also got Tomcat running as a service, so that means I can log in, do a "sudo /sbin/service tomcat restart" and go on my merry way.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic