• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Server returned HTTP response code: 405 for URL: http:??? nested exception is:

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Running my application, I have been getting a message that states "There has been a network error, Please select exit to restart the application" Upon clicking the Exit button, the applet terminates. I have checked the out file and found the following message:

2010-06-23 13:37 *** [ClientComm register] [Server returned HTTP response code: 405 for URL: http://localhost/Test/abc/claim; nested exception is:
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 405 for URL: http://localhost/Test/abc/claim]
errorType = [2]

From recent postings in this site I am aware that a code of 405 means "method not allowed". I would like to know what the rest of the message means. As you can see the message does not mention a particular method I am calling. From what I know of the application "claim" is a class. Has anybody run into this?

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The "method" that a 405 error is talking about is an HTTP method, which is usually GET or POST, but could be HEAD, PUT, DELETE, or several others. I'd guess you are sending an HTTP request to your server that it doesn't support. Can you see the server logs, or even better, debug the server from the point it receives the request?

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Greg is right. You're trying to perform a POST where only GET is allowed, or vice versa, or you're using one of the other methods and it isn't allowed.

Martin Simpao
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry for just getting back now, I was diverted to another issue. As far as logs, are you referring to the Tomcat logs or OS logs? I am currently running it on my desktop using Windows XP Pro, Tomcat 5 and IIS. How can I enable my desktop to accept both get and post?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic