• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse vs NetBean

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Javaranchers.

I can use the WYSIWYG editor inside the NetBean IDE, to position and move all the AWT controls, by switching between source and design mode; well, it seems that the Eclipse IDE does not have this feature, does it ?

How do you work with Eclipse when you have to build a complex form with all sorts of widget controls ?

Am I missing something obvious ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sergio.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sergio Marcello wrote:I can use the WYSIWYG editor inside the NetBean IDE, to position and move all the AWT controls, by switching between source and design mode; well, it seems that the Eclipse IDE does not have this feature, does it ?

Not by default, but there are plugins for it.

How do you work with Eclipse when you have to build a complex form with all sorts of widget controls ?

I code everything manually; no graphical editing is involved. I just code, build, test, code, build, test, etc.

Am I missing something obvious ?

There are several experienced users around here that suggest you follow my example, and don't use a graphical editor. Because you don't code the UI yourself you'll have more problems understanding how the code generated by the editor works. Maintaining will be more difficult. And the layout managers used can be horrible; I've seen several pieces of code using a GroupLayout that is generated by a graphical editor, and I won't even try to read through it. 30+ lines containing one single statement with a lot of nesting - no thanks.

Sergio Marcello
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Rob.

Since I'm quite used to MS VisualStudio, where drag and drop of controls is rather comfortable as you certainly know, I'm a bit disappointed that everything should be made 'per code'.

Oh well. May be on the other side, you get more "control" on the controls

Sergio.

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sergio Marcello wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that everything should be made 'per code'.

It's not should be, but it is advised by many, because of exactly the reason you give:

you get more "control" on the controls

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sergio Marcello wrote:
Since I'm quite used to MS VisualStudio, where drag and drop of controls is rather comfortable as you certainly know, I'm a bit disappointed that everything should be made 'per code'.

It doesn't have to be, and many find great joy creating applications with the NetBeans Matisse GUI builder. The problem many experience however, is that once they move beyond the most basic GUI, unless they have a firm understand of the underpinnings of Swing they falter when trying to augment or extend the GUI.

I think I share the views of many that your ability to create and manipulate advanced GUI's with NetBeans will be greatly augmented if you first learn to create GUI's by hand.

Having said all this, my own preference is to create GUI's by hand.

Much luck!

Sergio Marcello
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I think I share the views of many that your ability to create and manipulate advanced GUI's with NetBeans will be greatly augmented if you first learn to create GUI's by hand.

I totally agree on that, and I'll follow this wise suggestion.

Thanks all for answering,
Sergio.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic