• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is an auctioning marketplace?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

Here is one of the definitions I've found on google : "A system in which buyers enter competitive bids and sellers enter competitive offers simultaneously, as opposed to the over-the-counter market, where trades are negotiated. " (http://www.investorwords.com/323/auction_market.html)

If it is as described (I think a system like that must provide searching, bidding, ...) then well there aren't many things left to do, no

What do you think? Could someone give me some advices?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel Kern.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

i have the same question. My Part 2 assignment is about an integration project for an oil company with an auctioning marketplace. Actually I'm not sure where to draw the line between the existing marketplace and the integration system. Should I model auction, bid, seller, buyer objects on the project side or is this all already part of the auctioning marketplace (but what's then left to do, as Daniel said)? In the domain model there's only a bid object with associations to buyer AND seller (no auction object).

Thanks for some advice that helps me understand the problem;-)
Greetings H.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi All,

I also got the oil marketplace assignment. Can you please post me any suggestions to extend the domain model to build the class diagram? And also what about the domain objects which are not related to bid how to model them in class diagram?

Thanks in advance.

-SK

Sadanandam Kurapati
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Hanah/Daniel

Can you please let me how did you modeled the system?

Which side I need to model bid,buyer objects?

Regards,
Sada

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I have exactly the same question. The marketplace assignment I received says I am an architect for a company that needs to integrate with an auctioning market place. The use case includes buying, bidding. If the market place is an existing (public) system, I wouldn't expect to design the buying/bidding functionality for it. I should only care for integrating my system with the market place. But since majority of the use case talks about market place functionality, I am going to include it in my design. I hope I am on the right path. Can anyone please provide some scope guidance in this regard?

Thanks
Aparna

Sadanandam Kurapati
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes the simple question is do we need to assume marketplace as http://www.deals2buy.com/ which will just used to post the products and user will be re-directed to consumer site whenever he want to buy a product or http://www.amazon.com/ where the buy, order etc all buyer activities will be at marketplace and marketplace will send messages to SuD.

I am not sure which way I need to proceed on this. Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sada

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Folks

I also got the oil auction assignment and have the same questions. Would be very interested to hear what approach you took in the end

Thanks
Joe

Sadanandam Kurapati
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Joe,

Both approaches are fine but make sure you document all of the assumptions. Just decide one approach and stick to it and provided the notes wherever applicable.

Regards,
Sadanand

Joe O'Toole
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Sadanand

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sadanandam Kurapati wrote:Yes the simple question is do we need to assume marketplace as http://www.deals2buy.com/ which will just used to post the products and user will be re-directed to consumer site whenever he want to buy a product or http://www.amazon.com/ where the buy, order etc all buyer activities will be at marketplace and marketplace will send messages to SuD.

I am not sure which way I need to proceed on this. Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sada

Hi,

I have also received this assignment, from my perspective this assingment is not clear enough, despite we need to make one of the assumptions, where is the auctioning market place pictured int the Use Cases, It is not specified as an external system! I see no reference to the Market Place anywhere in the diagrams! Is this assignment wrong or broken ?

Thanks

Sadanandam Kurapati
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Fernando,

Yes, this assignment has lot of gaps but it is up to us to fill those gaps with our assumptions and start building the system. Just document the complete assumptions.

I am not sure if the Oracle OCP Team intentionally left those gaps in this assignment or it it the standard way of providing the assignments to test the ability of candidate. Yes, the reality is completely different .

Regards,
Sadanand

Fernando Almeida Pereira
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sadanandam Kurapati wrote:Hi Fernando,

Yes, this assignment has lot of gaps but it is up to us to fill those gaps with our assumptions and start building the system. Just document the complete assumptions.

I am not sure if the Oracle OCP Team intentionally left those gaps in this assignment or it it the standard way of providing the assignments to test the ability of candidate. Yes, the reality is completely different .

Regards,
Sadanand

Thanks Sadanand! What you say makes sense and I am going to follow your advice!

As a general comment about the exam: I wish the assignments were a little clearer though, as we do not have the chance to elucidate the requirements as in a real life project. I believe we should make mainly architectural decisions instead of assumptions about the requirements (use cases), but I admit I can be wrong and this is the way It should be I hope this assignment gives me another perspective!

Thanks again!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
do we have any scope to ask questions about assignment to Oracle, if things are unclear?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nimit Shah wrote:do we have any scope to ask questions about assignment to Oracle, if things are unclear?

There are two approaches. You can document all your assumptions or you can ask. Most people go with approach #1 as did I. I do remember reading here that someone asked for a clarification though.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi folks,

Judging from the earlier discussions, I've got the same oil company question as some other did. However, I still feel doubtful on why the "auctioning marketplace" can be missed out from the "Use Case" diagram given in the assignment file since such system actually plays a fairly substantial role. It shall include such functions as (i) register bidders/sellers, (ii) take auction offers, (iii) take bids for each offer, (iv) set up auction start/end time, (v) determine winning bids, (vi) notify SuD auction results (v) transfer winner's details, ... In aggregation, these functions shall introduce heavy interactions to the SuD. So, is it really ok for us to just put all these factors down into Assumptions, without refining the 'Use Cases' or anything in our deliverables to be submitted?

Another aspect I'm still pondering is the 'recovery design'. The SuD includes various Web Services interactions. In my real life projects, we won't assume them impeccable, but have to design the recovery logic so that any failures arising in these interactions can be detected, and recovered. E.g. we ask the external system to update their DB record using Web Service. The external system has updated the DB record successfully. But, when it returns a reply through Web Service, it fails. As a result, our system will consider the external system fails to update their DB, though actually they did. Addition logic is therefore put in place to detect such kind failures/discrepancy, and try to recover them.

Any advice?

Regards.
John

Daniel Kern
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

I managed to succeed the certification last May on the 1rst try. I'm quite happy with not only the result but also thing I've archived in doing this certification.
I'm sorry for my late feedback, for not answering some PMs ... because very often I feel difficult to share something. I'm afraid of violating certification rules, so I'll try to avoid concrete things.

Making assumptions, well I also followed advises I found in this forum, should come first. There can be no limit if these assumptions don't make you resolve an easier problem and if you give reasons in making them (like any other decisions in the project ...). You know, without assumptions (at least in this assignment), you cannot see clearly thing you have to resolve.

One more point is about use cases. They are very important and everyone (architects, developers, ..) must respect because they describe how end users work with our final system.

Hope this can help, though just a little.

Daniel.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic