• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Doubts on Servlet

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
few doubts regarding servlets :

1. Can a servlet have a constructor ? - my answer is yes.
2. is it mandatory that i should override the doGet() and doPost() methods ? Can I have a servlet(user defined servlet) without doGet() and doPost() methods ?
3 Suppose I have a userdefined servlet that extends HttpServlet what are the methods that I mandatorily need to override in my user defined servlet ?
4. When do we use ServletResponse and when do we use HttpServletResponse. The methods like encodeURL, sendRedirect etc are present in HttpServletResponse but not in ServletResponse.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jose,
1) Yes. Any class can have a constructor.
2/3) What happened when you tried it? Just create a class extending HttpServlet with no methods and see what compiler errors if any you get. While someone could answer this, it is much more instructional to try it.
4) When you have a HttpServlet, you should always be using HttpServletResponse.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Clojure Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

jose chiramal wrote:
1. Can a servlet have a constructor ? - my answer is yes.

Yes! check the API

jose chiramal wrote:
2. is it mandatory that i should override the doGet() and doPost() methods ? Can I have a servlet(user defined servlet) without doGet() and doPost() methods ?

Then how do you communicate with the client?

jose chiramal wrote:
3 Suppose I have a userdefined servlet that extends HttpServlet what are the methods that I mandatorily need to override in my user defined servlet ?

I think, it depends on our requirements!

jose chiramal wrote:
4. When do we use ServletResponse and when do we use HttpServletResponse.

Check the servlet hierarchy!

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. well, yes
2. no you cannot ... because then you wont be able to communicate with the container ... (the client). you need to extend atleast one of the 8 methods. check for the methods in the Servlet spec
3. any one of the above 8 methods ... mostly doGet() or doPost() since the html sends requet in these two forms only
4. it depends on you ... which one fits best for your app. the methods you are talking about are HTTP related so they are in HTTPServlet Class only

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You have to override atleast anyone of the eight methods (doGet(), doPost(),doDelete(), doOptions(), doPut(), doHead(), doOptions(), doHead()) in your servlet depending on purpose of the servlet. But the most commonly used methods are doGet(), doPost().

If you are calling the servlet from a HTML you can define the method that has to be called in the servlet in the method attribute of form tag. Default is doGet().

Well you don't have to care about when to use the methods in the ServletResponse or when not to, because we are dealing with HTTP we only use HttpServletResponse, which inherits ServletResponse.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic