• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

jQuery v MooTools

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Bear,
long before i knew that you wrote a book about jQuery i was looking for a JS-Libary. JQuery and especially Dojo had too many plugins on their websites that didn't work well. So i choose MooTools because it appeared to be the most generic and manageable to me.
Today, judging from the popularity, jQuery seems to have become the most accepted Framework.
Can you show some advantages of jQuery in direct comparison with MooTools?

Thanks Chris

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
http://jqueryvsmootools.com/

Written by a MooTools person, but seems mostly accurate. (I think MooTools might even be a tad more JavaScript-ier than jQuery, but only just, *if* at all--you'll get other opinions about that).

One thing from that article that I think sums up my feelings about the two is this:

jQuery Makes the DOM More Fun. MooTools Makes JavaScript Itself More Fun.

This isn't a value judgement--I think the two libraries actually have different purposes, although there's clearly some functional overlap.

Both jQuery and MooTools are really good libraries, though, just with different underlying purposes and philosophies. The article, while definitely written with an opinion, is a great resource for understanding the differences, and will likely teach something about JavaScript and the JavaScript thought process. Good read.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic